Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luxury deer, with a beer sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luxury deer, with a beer sauce

Hi bbq friends, today has been an amazing (food) day. I’m in the southern part of Sweden, visiting my dad. We went goose hunting today. Tomorrow we’re going deer hunting.
    For tonight's dinner I cooked (fallow) deer. Don’t know exactly what the cut is called in English, but it is the inner thigh, which is more tender than the best tenderloin. Just incredible. It was a big hunk of meat, it weighed in at 2.7 lbs. Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer_02.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	30058

Just like with most game, I just added plain salt and black pepper. If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it. Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer_03.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	30059

My dad has a gasser, so I did like I’ve done before on gas grills; put pecan wood chips in an aluminum box over one burner, and the meat on the cold side. I did bring with me my Maverick ET-733, so I got the temps right. I ran it at 260 deg F.

Wood chips over burner, meat on the other side, just getting started: Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer_04.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	30062

When it comes to absolute top quality meat like this, the sauce has to be spectacular, so I did my usual game sauce, but with a twist; I replaced the wine with beer. There wasn't any wine around, so I had to improvise. I decided to get a beer that is chock full of flavor, so I went with a porter. If you haven’t tried it, it is very roughly like a stout (think Guiness). The apple adds so much freshness, and goes very well with game.

Sauce ingredients
    2 large shallots
    1 apple (get an apple that is more sour than sweet)
    0.4 cups beef stock (or game stock if you can find it)
    0.6 cups porter or stout
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    1.3 cups cooking cream
    a pinch or two of sugar
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer_05.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	30060

Start by chopping the shallots. Peel the apple, remove the core, and chop it. Fry the chopped shallots in a tablespoon of butter. Add the apple, beef stock, tomato paste, porter and cooking cream. Let it simmer for 10 minutes. Mix it smooth in a blender. Add a pinch or two of sugar.

The beer sauce:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer_08.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	30061

The chef's favorite beer: Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer_06.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	30064

I served the deer with a potato gratin. It just doesn’t get any better than this.

The pecan smoked inner thigh: Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer_07.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	30070

Tender! Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer_10.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	30065

Dinner is ready: Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer_11.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	30071

NOTE: I'm sorry about the varying photo sizes, but vBulletin was almost impossible today. I tried uploading three different sizes several different times, but regardless of which size I choose to insert, it usually picks the smallest one, but not all the time...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Henrik; November 8, 2014, 09:33 AM.

That looks awesome Henrik and as usual your sauces look amazing!!

Comment

Looks really good. I am not much of a hunter (only ever hunted people ), and I have never heard of Goose hunting. If they're good I have a pond down the road that has 30 or so all the time. Wouldn't be much of a hunt though!

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        My guess is thier goose hunting wild birds. Otherwise it shopping right?
        Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 7, 2014, 06:25 PM.

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you only shoot wild geese? These are Canada geese, pretty sure nobody would mine

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        We hunt Canada goose, and what we call gray goose. And yes, they're wild :-) At dawn they fly to settle on a lake, that's when you take 'em, usually you have a 20 minute window.

Henrick, I love venison and have hunted all my life. Then one day when I was forty I lost it. Could not pull the trigger. But I still love venison. My friends that still hunt tell me to get my own. LOL don't really blame them.

Comment

Looks amazing as alway Henric.

To a safe and swift hunt !

Comment

Thanks! I'm glad I had to improvise with the sauce, it turned out really well with beer.

Comment

Very nice. I have two in the freezer from this year. Whitetail, however, I did see a fallow one day on the road. He was an escapee from a local exotic farm. You can legally take them if they are on your property since they are an exotic. Problem is they probably weigh 300+ pounds. Not fun getting that to the truck by yourself.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this recipe - that sauce looks amazing! Does it go well with beef or pork? I'll be sure to get a license next year (Louisiana requires you to be a resident for 12 months before you can get buy an in-state hunting license) and will hopefully have an excuse to try this for myself.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad you like it! I would definitely say this is a beef sauce, considering the porter (or stout) flavor.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here