Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon wrapped deer steaks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon wrapped deer steaks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2046.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	267126
    I really love making these steaks. I have found that cutting the roast after it has been frozen for storage make a better tasting steak rather than cutting your steaks while you're butchering. I wrap them with bacon and cook them for 9 minutes a side at 400 degrees on my rec tec. They always turn out amazing and the best thing for these steaks is to cook them on the aluminum Grill Grates you can buy on Amazon from this site. I was lucky enough to have some of my smoked pepper jack cheese to put on them for the last 5 minutes of the cook to really make these steaks have an abundance of flavor. Hope you all get to try making some of these for yourself.

Interesting. I cook venison at warp 9 for 3-4 minutes per side. A board sauce is also a good thing!

Comment

This is a different approach for me. I generally cook venison in a hot pan until I see the red juices coming to the surface or a little beyond and then flip until the same thing happens. Then set them aside and deglaze SP? the pan with red wine and blueberry jelly or jam and then reduce and pour over the venison.

If I do it right the venison is always medium rare. So after looking again at your post maybe we are kind of doing the same basic thing.

Comment

Yum yum. I've got some back strap I need to get out the freezer.

Comment

Absolutely agree with cutting roast into steaks, cutlets, stew meat or whatever I want while it's thawing!!! Not only more versatile but meat lasts longer frozen in one piece. Bacon wrap is good but I par-cook the bacon (homemade, thick cut) a bit so it's done while the steaks are still medium rare. Nine minutes a side @ 400 seems like a lot long time for medium rare. Maybe you like your venison more "weller done" than me. It's all good!

Comment

Yeah HorseDoctor, 400 seems high but I've found on my pellet grill that with the convection heat, it's just like throwing them in the oven. The steaks were medium rare and very tender. I like the par-cook the bacon idea because it seems like the bacon doesn't quite get done enough. Thanks for the idea!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here