Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Ever Smoked Venison Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Ever Smoked Venison Roast

So last week my neighbor asked me have I ever smoked Venison. I told him no the only time I use Venison is for chilli. So he gave me one and I began doing research on the for ways to smoke it. Most things I found was not to do it on a smoker, to use a crook pot. But I was determined to find out for my self. Now I am not a big brine person and I like dry rubs better. So I began by the night before by doing some trimming by removing any silver skin that was left by the butcher. I then used a little device my wife bought me to puncher the meat to tenderize. I then coated with olive oil to bind my rubs. I used two rubs, Montreal steak and a Cajun rub I had. Let sit over night in the fridge. Around noon I placed it on my smoker at 235 and let cook till the internal reached about 135. When it came out I let rest for about two hrs. I then sliced it like a brisket, I even did a few cubes in there. I brought it over to my neighbor house for a little get together. And everyone went nuts for it. A few people didn't believe it was Venison. It was so good and tender that when it cooled down people were eating it cold. So if someone tells you it can't or shouldn't be smoked try it for yourself and decide then.

Congrats on a successful cook. I bet it's the first of many venison cooks.

Comment

My limited knowledge tells me it's not much different than beef except deer have more points on the horns. Sounds delicious. Going out on a limb with blind faith based on experience is why we have such good meals! kudos sir!

Comment

Good job sir. Bacon wrapped back strap smokes up real nice also.

Comment

Be careful using a blade tenderizer on meat that you only take to 135. They can push surface bugs (which normally get killed by surface searing) deeper into the meat. Glad your cook turned out good!

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Like Huskee said regarding the blade tenderizer. You could always dip the roast in boiling water for a few seconds to pasteurize the outside prior to using your blade tenderizer and that should eliminate any concerns of having a low final temp like 135.

Sounds good. Would you care to post your tips or recipe for the chili in the chili sub forum?

Comment

Appreciate your adventurousness! And gave me some ideas, too! Thanks Kevinfilm !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here