Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I do with Moose Blade Steaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I do with Moose Blade Steaks?

My nephew gave me a bunch of moose meat a while back. So last night I was in the freezer looking at this pack of 2 blade steaks so I took them out to thaw. This morning I salted them and decided to just sear them up like regular steaks. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe I should braise them? IDK, what do you think? Suggestions?

Hey ccd

I have only had them in a crock pot or ground.

I've heard that they need to marinade for a few days to grill.

Have you had moose blades before?
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 2, 2014, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• cdd315
      cdd315 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, first time I think I've ever cooking blade steaks .. moose or not moose

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      I think they will be chewy. Even burger from them is chewy. Tasty but chewy.

• cdd315
      cdd315 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm, now I'm not sure what to do .. might be a pizza night tonight Stay tuned while I decide whether go for it with some BBBR and a reverse sear or marinade them for a day or so.

Check this link out. Sounds like it's best suited to a reverse sear and cooked no higher than medium or medium rare. I hope this helps you! In the meantime, I will move this thread over to the Recipes>Wild Game channel so in the future it can be properly searched by others!

Comment

• cdd315
      cdd315 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Huskee, I would have started a proper thread in the Wild Game channel to document this cook but this is better! I wonder if you would maybe change the subject to Moose Blades or something like that? I've some roasts that I'm going to do someday as well

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely, good idea. Look forward to seeing more moose cooks! I've had bear, although I'm no expert, but never moose. This will a good thread to follow!

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks gents for moving this over to the recipes section and to you as well cdd for taking us through your... experimental recipe

cdd, check out About.com Meat & Wild Game Cooking I did a moose roast from there that was awesome. Moose is very lean and very good but am not familiar with blade steaks.

Comment

I agree with Huskee, do a reverse sear and just bring it up to rare or medium. Moose is really good overall, but blade steaks are lean and tough, that's why most people cook them in a crock pot.

Another option that works really well is to grind them together with pork (use 50/50 proportions), and make your own burgers. That's a guaranteed hit. I have done it successfully with hare, deer and moose (separately). You get an outstanding burger, with great game flavor, but juicy and greasy (in a good way).

Comment

• cdd315
        cdd315 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I agree totally with doing them reverse sear. If they would have been a little thicker I would have done that and perhaps a little smoke. Since they were only 3/4 in. I had to do them fast. As it was though I could have gotten away with only 90 sec. a side. I wanted to try to do them this way to get the full flavour from the meat. Wow, moose is my favourite game meat. I've tried elk and bison and wasn't impressed. Elk had a metal taste to it .. too much iron? The bison was a little gamey. I have to say though that I don't know how they were butchered which might have something to say about the meat.

Ok, so I cooked them up for dinner tonight. I just decided to go for it. Most likely we'll eat them even if they don't turn out. They were only about 3/4" thick so I needed to sear them quick like. I would have liked to try the after burner method but I don't have a nice small grate for that and the steaks were a little on the long side. When I got home from work, I spread some EVOO and black pepper on both sides since they were already salted this morning. While they were chilling in the fridge, I filled up a full chimney of coal and got that going. When they were fully lit I dumped them in a pile inside the 22.5" kettle. I tried to keep the coal just below the grate for good heat. Kept both vents wide open and put on the lid to keep the flames down. I went inside to grab the steaks and brought them out. It turned cold today .. damn near freezing so I had to go grab a toque for my head Cooked them 2 minutes a side and brought them in.

Wow, Jon you were right .. a little chewy. Although it would have been better maybe 1.5 minutes a side as they are closer to medium instead of medium rare. But .. wow the flavor!!! OOOHHHH HHOOO HOO that was some tasty moose!! I couldn't tell that it was moose it was so close to beef. Salt and pepper and a little EVOO. I have to do this again. Fantastic!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4477-c.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	22782

Name:	IMG_4478-c.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	22783

Name:	IMG_4482-c.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	22784

Comment

Nice one, cdd315! Looking at the cut, like you say, just bring them to medium rare next time. Moose is a great animal, not only in the woods, but especially on the plate Definitely one of my faves.

Comment

• cdd315
          cdd315 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Henrik!! Honestly I didn't expect it to taste as good as it did. I'm still salivating just thinking about it I didn't even have a thermometer with me to check the temp .. not sure if it would have given me a good reading or not since the steak was on the thin side. Next time I want to try one of your sauces. I think it would really add to the meal.

AWESOME! I love the fact that you just went for it! Thanks for the share!

Comment

• cdd315
          cdd315 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jon! It was a good cook.

Looks good to me, I tend to prefer medium for thinner steaks myself. I'm glad it turned out so tasty for you.

Comment

• cdd315
          cdd315 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Huskee!

Those are fine looking steaks cdd! You did a great job.

Just for future reference... is the blade steak from the shoulder area? The bones kind of look like it might be.

Comment

• cdd315
          cdd315 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Smarkley! Yes, the blade steak is from the shoulder chuck.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here