Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elk Steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk Steaks

I'm planning on doing some elk steaks on the grill tomorrow. I know to keep it rare to medium rare, but what recipes or flavor combinations do you like to use with elk? Thanks for the tips!!

Sounds great! What type of steak (where on the animal are they from)? In general, elk is super high quality, with a great flavor in itself, so you don't need much. I typically use either a plain dalmatian rub (salt and coarse ground black pepper), or salt and a 50/50 mix of coarsely ground red and black pepper. I would try not to get too fancy with the spices, you don't want to loose that great elk flavor. I would rather recommend making a great sauce to go with it. Here's one that I use with both deer and elk that is just loaded with flavors and goes great with wild meat:

Sauce ingredients (serves 4)
    2 shallots ("banana" shallots, i.e. bigger, or 4 regular shallots)
    3 fl oz thick game (or calf or beef) liquid stock. Get the best quality you can, it really pays off.
    2 apples (not too sweet, get apples that are a bit sour).
    2 cups cooking ream (I use one that has 15% fat, but anything between 15 and 30% will do fine. The fatter the richer).
    2 fl oz red wine

Sauce instructions
    Chop the shallots finely, and fry them in equal parts butter and vegetable oil (one table spoon each). Add the wine and stock, and let it simmer. Peel the apples, remove the core, and grate them. Add the apples to the sauce and stir. Finally, add the cooking cream, and let it simmer for another 10 minutes. Mix the sauce in a blender to make it smooth. Add salt, pepper and a pinch or two of brown sugar.

It may sound a lot with the stock, but it works just fine. Also, the grated apples really provide super freshness with the fructose and them being just a bit sour. The brown sugar at the end is for compensating the acidity in the wine.

Good luck, and let me know how it turns out. And if you do something else, please share so we can learn.
    Last edited by Henrik; September 7, 2014, 04:30 AM. Reason: Clarified instructions.

Comment

Local place did frenched ribs, they were excellent with a simple dalmation rub and an au jus. Place had great food but a tornado took it out last year.

Comment

I didn't get a chance to respond, but wanted to say the elk steaks were fantastic. Not dry or chewy at all. Came out perfect. I had a few more than I thought so I had them with breakfast the next morning with some eggs. Got to get me some more elk when the hunt comes around next year. Thanks for your posts guys!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to hear. Thanks for the update!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here