Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Bear Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Bear Roast

Used BBBR and it took 20 hours with the crutch!

WOW! How was it? I had bear once when a buddy of mine hunted one. (I don't hunt animals that can hunt me back, call me a scaredy cat) I thought the meat tasted sweet, literally. How was smoked bear?

Comment

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      I had bear once 30 some years ago in another life. it was very good ,I think. I don't hunt, couldn't pull the trigger (call me a sissy) you kill it, I will try to figure the best way cook it

It almost seemed like a crock pottted beef roast. I've been hunting a long time but this was my first bear(Archery Kill). The bear smelled rank but as soon as I separated the hide and meat
    you could smell how mild the meat was. All of the stink was on the hide.Can't believe how long it took to cook. 7lb bone-in took almost a day.

Comment

Did you smoke it?

Comment

yup sure did

Comment

Way to go Tally, thats looks good. CONGRATS in the bear.

BTW I can smell that rank smell right now like its right here.. LOL It is a smell you don't forget.
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 1, 2014, 05:30 AM.

Comment

I'm going to move this to the wild game channel.

Nice cook!

Comment

Thanks guys. On the bear kill all the credit goes to my buddies amazing bear dogs. He has invested a lot of time into training them and it showed. It was a real treat watching those dogs work. It's astonishing how far and how fast the dogs and the bear can. It was a 5 mile chase in rough country at 6700ft above sea level and it was over in less 45 minutes. I gave my buddy a hind quarter and he smoked it will MHMD. I tried the beef rub. We wanted to see which style of rub would be best on bear. We are going bear hunting again and we are gonna compare the two cooks at camp tonight.

Comment

I'm wagering the MD was not the best, but the BBBR was. Red meat just tends to not fare as well with as much sugar, but favors salt & pepper as the primary flavors. What say you Tally?

Comment

You were right Huskee BBBR was the winner.

Comment

Hunted in Ontario two weeks ago, someone cooked a bear back leg roast on a gas grill, seasoned with normal salt, pepper, Lowerys, Montreal steak seasoning, 290 degrees for seven hours. I don't know how he verified the temp. I've shot and eaten, moose, elk, caribou, many many venison (deer) and this was beyond a doubt the best of all! Some of the other hunters were farmers from Iowa, very proud of their pork and beef, one of them, who refuses to eat at fast food places, crappy stale beef, said that the roast was as good as a good prime rib, and he supplied a 22 pounder for camp! These were were not chased by dogs or eating from dumps,eating nothing but berries all summer and very fat. A 545 pounder had fat 8" thick! NOTHING wrong with good healthy black bear! Thumpmaster

Comment

Cooked some of my Sept bear (roast)last week on GMS, 5 hours, final meat temp of 155, seasoned like a beef prime rib. Damn! That's good s--- man! Tasted more like beef than some beef I've had and cut with your fork tender! Thumpmaster

Comment

• smarkley
                        smarkley commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Dude! We need pics of your next cook!

And cooking details! OH... did I say pics?

LOL

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here