Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked venison problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked venison problem

Hi guys. I'm new around here and haven't done my homework yet but I had something come up tonight that I thought you may be able to help me with.

I'm a novice smoker. Got my Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault for Christmas and have been playing around with it ever since. I've done some very successful pork shoulders, brisket, ribs, sausage and even mac 'n' cheese thanks to all the information on this incredible site. I've been hesitant to do venison because of how lean it is compared to other typical barbecue fare but today I decided to give it a shot. I'm not sure the name of the cut but it was a long, flat rectangular shaped roast from the rear quarter. I dry brined it for 24 hours and then, about 3 hours before cooking I added some Wildcat Holler seasoning blend that I've used before and really like. I smoked it with apple wood at 225 for about 2 1/2 hours to a perfect medium rare internal temp of 135. It looked and smelled amazing! I brought it in and began slicing it very thin, like roast beef. Perfectly done, red in the center with a beautiful pink smoke ring. OMG this is going to be amazing!! I couldn't wait anymore. I had to try a slice. I pop one in my mouth and it was... mush. The flavor was great, sweet, smokey, juicy. But the texture was like playdough. There was no body or chew to it at all. It disintegrated in my mouth like sand. We put it on some nicely toasted buns with homemade creamy coleslaw and homemade smokey bourbon bbq sauce and all the flavors together were actually really good. On it's own though, the meat was less than delicious. Do you have any idea what I could have done differently? Was it just the wrong cut? Should I have cooked to a different temp? I thought about cooking it to 205 like pork shoulder but venison doesn't have the fat and connective tissue to melt like pork. Any help or ideas you have would be appreciated.

And I promise I'll get my homework done soon.

LangInGibsonia how did you freeze and thaw the venison, maybe that could have caused the texture issue?

Comment

Welcome LangInGibsonia

Comment

was it factory treated?

Comment

smokinfatties That's something I hadn't thought of for this application because I did it like I have hundreds of roasts in the past; deep freeze in vaccum bags and thaw in the refrigerator for two days. Is there another way i should consider? I understand the process of moisture loss in the freeze/thaw cycle but it has never lead to such disappointing results before.
          DWCowles Thank you! I hope to be active and get to know some of you a little.
          Ernest Nope! Killed, gutted, skinned, aged and butchered by me. I like to know the people who touch my meat! (pun intended.)

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol. I laughed at your pun.

it's possible that the cells were damaged in the freeze/thaw cycle that could explain the mush. You said "I'm not sure the name of the cut but it was a long, flat rectangular shaped roast from the rear quarter". Can you get us rough size? Thin/thick? It sounds more like what you would get braising a roast in a crockpot, so i'm not sure what the real reason is. Definitely not overcooked at a med rare 135... strange. But big Propers for harvesting your own dinner and having the talent to take it from forest to table.

Comment

Perhaps maybe a reverse sear could add some texture, start searing at around 120? Also maybe slightly thicker slices also. Good luck, I love some venison!

Comment

Thanks, Dog. I'm no superfreak, organic granola cruncher but I do like to have some control over the quality of food my family consumes. As for the roast, I looked at some deer butcher charts and now I'm thinking it was either the bottom round or the sirloin tip. It was rectangular, about 10"x7"x3". Could just be the deer too. Thinking back now, that may have been the first we've eaten of that deer. (I label my meat by which animal it is.) Anyway, thanks everyone for the input. I'll let you know when I try again.

Comment

I've had the same experience with "low & slow" smoking of a venison roast many years ago. That's one of the reasons I just don't do venison that way. Wish there were more ways to do venison outside, but other than searing a burger or steak or perhaps grilling some sausage, I do most all my venison in the kitchen. IMHO: Too many other really good venison recipes to waste it trying to pretend it's pork, beef or lamb (and we eat 2 or 3 deer a year). It seems to cook more like veal and you just don't see that many "Q" recipes for veal (other than a nice quickly seared chop or steak ).

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
                  LangInGibsonia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm afraid you may be right. I'll change a few things and give it one more shot but I won't be surprised if what you say is in fact true.

Welcome to The Pit LangInGibsonia! Here it comes, your official invite to view the Homework!

Since this is one of your first posts, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
                  LangInGibsonia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, Huskee. I'm aware of the assignment but unfortunately, just like in high school history class, I'm a bit of a procrastinator. I've read all the intro stuff and much, much more. I just need to do my introduction post.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LangInGibsonia No worries friend, completely understand. I may have been the same in high school. And college. Not sure though, those records are sealed.

• Storlok
                  Storlok commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Huskee, have the names been changed to protect the ignorant, I mean the innocent too...?

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here