Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Elk Burger Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Elk Burger Recipe

This is kind of a fun story. Last week as I was leaving our local contractor supply I overheard a customer asking about bituthene window wrap. He was installing a 4/0 4/0 window and wondered if he had to buy a whole roll. The clerk said yes, he did. I was at the door when I heard that and turned back to the counter where I asked the fellow if he could wait for 5 minutes or so and I'd run home and grab a partial roll I had in the barn and that he could use as much of it as he needed. He said he'd wait and I headed to the barn, as they say.

I got back to the store and gave him the roll of window wrap and asked only that he return what he didn't use back to the store and I'd get it later. He was very appreciative, as anyone would be, and I said it's just nice to help a neighbor.

So I stop in to pick up some trim wood today and Mary, the counter sales lady, hands me back the unused roll of window wrap as well as 2lbs of frozen elk burger and a package of frozen elk brats! Score!!! I doubt he used $10 bucks worth of wrap so I most definitely got the better end of that deal!

With that, I've never cooked elk burger before and I'd like to hear from any of y'all who have and what is your favorite method or recipe. I'm sure it would be great in chili or some such thing, but I'd like to experience the burger as the main ingredient. I don't know the fat content, but are there some things I need to do to keep from drying it out when cooking? I know venison burger can turn to cardboard if you're not careful and I don't want to mess this up. Lemmeknow what y'all think. Thanks!

Oklahoma onion smash burger! You can start by cooking a small patty to test - if too dry add some fat. I cook mine (1/4 lb is my favorite size) to about medium. I sometimes top with Hatch chilies but the onion smash burger really needs very little additions.

Comment

Great score. A lot depends on whether your new friend processed the ground elk or had it done. Most wild game processors will add beef fat to the ground so it would be good to go, if did it himself might be on the low fat side. You could grind up some frozen butter to add to the meat to up the fat content, cause everything is better with butter. I would do the brats first and base on what they are like you will have a much better idea of the fat content of the ground meat. 58limited is right cook a very small amount and see what it comes out like and go from there.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        It was professionally processed so I think that's a good sign.
        Last edited by CaptainMike; February 17, 2023, 10:04 AM.

I believe it is best used in chili. Fat content is too low for burgers, etc.

Comment

As an experienced big game hunter, please listen up Mike. It’s a well known fact that I’ve shot many an elk here in Houston. You can’t drive down I-10 or the West Loop without spotting a herd or two. Usually I’ll pull over on the shoulder and wait for em to cross the road before I blast their ass with my 40 cal.

So what I do is……that’s all I got ….

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Hilarious, ya gawdamm hilarious old bastard!

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          If they made it across those roads, I wouldn't have the heart to shoot 'em. 😂

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here