Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Wild Game Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Wild Game Help

This time of year I'm filling the freezer with Whitetail deer and now, hopefully, wild turkey. I have found that I love recipes by Hank Shaw, so I wanted to introduce him here. I'm betting some of you have heard of him, but maybe not (a search of this forum did not find his name). He is a James Beard award winning chef, and has several cook books on the market. Anyway, a quick search for his name will take you to his areas, and I plan to post some 'show and tell' cooks in the near future. I would really like to discuss Salting/curing... of wild game. He has some methods, and they seem to sync (with some variation) with Meatheads (tried and proved by me), and I'm curious if anyone has other ways, or confirmation of them (I don't have much experience with them yet). First is the thought that salting a roast with salt and sugar, for a longer time (2 days per pound) will allow the salt to season the inner most parts better/more.
    Anyone tested this? I don't have enough roasts to do a comparison, and several claim that Brisket doesn't cook the same as a roast (I do a lot of briskets). So I ask. And does sugar really do anything at all? I did't think that sugar would penetrate the meat, only salt, so why is it there? And does 2 days per pound really make a difference?

No experience with salting or curing game meat. I've been enjoying/using may of Shaw's recipes, including some great sauces, that appear on the Simply Recipes website.

Comment

Techmaster

My understanding of the sugar question is that the sugar melts and forms a glaze that forms the bark.

I could be wrong. But that was my take on sugar...

It worked well on ribeye and the chuckie I smoked a while back...

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Sugar is a polar molecule, it will penetrate, just not as fast as salt.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the way I understood the sugar to bark thing.
        I probably use 1/4 cup white to 3/4 cup brown sugar ratio in my dry rub to set bark.

• Allon
        Allon commented
        Editing a comment
        smoking fool

That sounds like a lot of sugar, what are you barkin'?

Anyone else having trouble with name references?
        I need to clear the cache, if I can remember how.
        Last edited by Allon; December 5, 2022, 09:30 PM. Reason: More trouble in paradise...

Hmmm, I’m going to have to check out Hank. Since my cookin has evolved to more venison than the other meats I am quite simple with the cooks, salt, pepper, maybe garlic (lots) onions, & various fats. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I cure and cook wild game quite often. Even have a dedicated wild game freezer.

Comment

I've got all of Hank Shaw's cookbooks, lots of good recipes that can easily be used for non-game meats as well.

Comment

Hope this helps, Traeger Grills® - The Original Wood Pellet Grill​
          something like 30 recipes for venison and wild game.

Comment

I'll probably put some coon recipes up soon, gonna go coon hunting at the farm next few weeks.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't knock it till you try it hoovarmin

• Washblue
              Washblue commented
              Editing a comment
              Leave the salt-marsh coons alone… but a good upland swamp coon is worthy…

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Washblue these are corn fed field coons from the farm.

We have never cured venison… dry-aged yes…

I have never kept a venison roast…. mother always processed our carcasses… our job was to take it from field to rack as a whole deer… butcher and hang to age, then take quarters to mom when she was ready to process…

She sliced the loins and cut everything else into chunks that was cubed and frozen to fry and stew…. I’d love to see the mountain of meat that little woman has cut up and cooked!

Our wild pork going back to my earliest memories was either processed, frozen or salted, then frozen… We butchered our own hogs, but took the hams and bacon to be salted in refrigeration…

Along in the early to mid ‘60’s, the meat packers Dad used, who also milled our corn into feed, switched from salt to sugar cure….

Dad built his own salt boxes at that point…

As I remember their dry salt process switched to a wet sugar process including injection…

our salt cured hams once taken from the salt box were peppered and hung in the garage where it was cool… then eaten before the weather warmed…

Last edited by Washblue; December 6, 2022, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Cured venison pastrami and venison hams are great

I've been doing pastrami with axis roasts lately. Come out pretty well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here