Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venison rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison rub

Wanna use a rub on some backstraps...any suggestions appreciated

Hey E long time no see,
    Never tried this or juniper berries personally but this one looks good although I would omit the salt from this and do a standard dry brine and grill indirect to 120* or so with a quick sear to 130-135*.
    Field & Stream's Ultimate Wild Game Rub
    Time: 10 minutes; Difficulty: Easy
    ¼ cup kosher salt
    ¼ cup ground black pepper
    ¼ cup sweet paprika
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons dried thyme
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon Uncrushed juniper berries, Then try to crush them in a mortar (with the rest of the spices)
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. For best results, use your fingers to fully distribute the juniper oils. This makes 1¼ cups, enough for 8 to 10 pounds of meat. Kept away from heat and light, it will last up to six months.
    Last edited by Powersmoke_80; January 10, 2016, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Juddlight
      Juddlight commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha iwas thinking bbr but wanted to see what peeps post...where u get juniper berries?

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought I seen at Meijer's in there spice island brand but can't be for sure.

• Juddlight
      Juddlight commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha cool ill check tomm after work lol :/

Juniper berries can become overpowering pretty quickly. I'd suggest starting with MUCH less than a tablespoon and then increase slowly until it tastes right to you.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      MBMorgan Sounds like a good idea as I have never used them but I know Henrik has suggested them before.
      Juddlight

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, they can, but according to Powersmoke_80 the amount is for 8-10 lbs of meat. In those proportions I wouldn't worry. Try to crush them in a mortar (with the rest of the spices), it helps.

By the way; I read the recipe as: 1 tbsp of Uncrushed juniper berries, which is then crushed. If it instead should read 1 tbsp of crushed juniper berries, then I would definitely reduce the amount myself.

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for adding that important information,@Henrik I adjusted the recipe to reflect that.

Cool thanks guys

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here