Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goose Breast Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goose Breast Pastrami

One of my coworkers brought me boneless, skinless canadian goose breast totalling a little over 3 lbs! I was perusing the interwebs and decided to go with this recipe for Goose breast pastrami. Pictures and updates to come... I'm pretty excited...

That is going to be fantastic. Hank Shaw has some great recipes for fowl. Looking forward to your updates.

Comment

• Flavorsavor
      Flavorsavor commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jon. I'm itching for the workday to end so I can get to the important stuff

So they came in less than the 3 lbs my buddy estimated, but still quite substantial I think. I dug around for shot, but wasn't able to find any pellets, and most of the entry holes had exits, too, so I feel pretty good about it. I'll just slice carefully .
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1597.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	122120

Name:	IMG_1600.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	122117
    Notice the holes... That large one on the left is from my pinky digging for a pellet.

Name:	IMG_1601.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	122118And with the rub. Not as pretty as a brisket, but I'm eager to see how they'll turn out. Into the fridge for 30 hours!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Flavorsavor; November 17, 2015, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Truly looking forward to how this progresses!

Comment

So i cured them for about 30 hours, then, contrary to the recipe but in line with Meathead's Katz recipe, I desalinated for about eight hours. I know my co worker brined them before he gave them to me, so I was pretty worried about a salt bomb. I let them sit in the fridge for a day to dry, and then realized I probably should have trimmed them up before I started. They had a "silverskin" so I'm somewhat worried the cure didn't penetrate well enough. Anyway, trimmed, dipped in brandy, rubbed with meathead's pastrami rub, and onto the Kettle with the slow 'n sear they go! Taking them up to 160, smoking with apple at about 215.

Name:	IMG_1614.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	122475
        After the cure and trimming....you'll notice in the earlier pics a silverskin that's no longer present.

Name:	IMG_1615.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	122476
        A dip in brandy...

Name:	IMG_1617.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	122474 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1624.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	122471
        Attached Files

Comment

Dude those are looking sweet!

Comment

Name:	IMG_1625.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	122482 Thanks man. In the meantime...

Comment

AAAAANNNDDD we have Wild Goose Pastrami!
              Gotta say, not bad. Still a little chewy, but man it would be right at home on a charcuterie with some cheese and wine. Nom nom nom.

Name:	IMG_1627.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	122495
              Off the smoker, pulled at 160, rested about ten minutes. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1628.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	122494
              Looking good... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1629.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	122493There's actually some intramuscular fat. I noticed the one I left on longer was a bit more tender, it was about 166. No pellets yet!

Comment

That just looks like some knd of tasty! Kudos and congrats to ya!

Comment

Looks GREAT. I'm totally inspired. I connect with one or two of them this weekend end going to have to give that a go.

Awesome thread! Great pics. Take a bow!
                  Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 19, 2015, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Nice looking cook!

Comment

Thanks all. I brought it in to work this morning and guys who hunt on the regular are chowin down, so I'll take that as success. Once the meat cooled down I noticed that the cure didn't penetrate 100%, there is a small brown splotch in the middle of the slices. I attribute this to not removing the silverskin before curing, and perhaps I should have gone the full 36 hours. Other than that this has been awesome. On to the goose sammies!

Comment

Looks awesome, thanks for sharing. I have two big 5.5 lb hunks of point brining right now for pastrami next weekend, this is making me impatient.

Comment

WOWWOW! I've done duck breast pastrami, but I like this idea!

Comment

Wow thanks meathead! The magic of the internets. I've got a reputation in the shop now so I look forward to cooking much more game.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here