Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild boar on the grate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild boar on the grate

So, Saturday night, home alone (my very soon to be wife is out on her hen party), what do you do? Fire up the smoker, of course!

The wild boar
    I thought I’d try smoking wild boar. I have cooked it many times in the kitchen, but never smoked it. I think it should be a very good match for some low n’ slow, as it has very good flavor. I made a great sauce to go with it, see the recipe below. It goes very well with both pork and chicken. It has a very subtle touch, yet is loaded with good flavors.

I feel I have learned quite a lot in my last few grill sessions, with good help from this forum. So, this time I wanted to do the bare minimum, and skip “fancy” techniques, until I master it. No injection, no spraying or basting, no wrapping.

Treating the meat
    I started by appliying a good rub. In this case I mixed a handful of juniper berries (crushed in a mortar) and applied liberally. That’s it. Juniper berries goes really well with wild boar. I put the ham in a plastic bag, and let it “sit” for a good while.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3418.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	12068

Here's the ham, stringed up.

Name:	IMG_3423.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	12190

Getting my Q on
    I lit up the hardwood charcoal in my ceramic egg, set it to 300 deg F, and put the boar on the grate, and plenty of pecan wood on the coal. I wanted a strong smoke flavor on this one. And yes, I am adamant about cleaning my grate :-)

Name:	IMG_3421.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	12069

I took it off when the inner temp hit 147 deg F (64 deg C), and wrapped it in aluminum foil and a bath towel. Let it rest for 25 minutes.

Saucing it up
    1/2 cup pimento olives (green olives with a bit of red paprika where the pit usually is).
    5-6 sundried tomatoes
    2-3 banana shallots, or 4-6 regular shallots. I usually use banana shallots, that way there are fewer for me to chop J
    2 tablespoons thick, concentrated beef stock.
    2 cups cream
    some sugar

Chop the shallots finely, and fry them on medium heat in equal parts butter and vegetable oil. Try 1 tbsp of butter and oil each. Add more if you feel you need it. Add finely chopped sundried tomatoes and olives, and fry a little more. Now add the beef stock and the cream, and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Pour it all into a blender, and mix it to a smooth sauce. Pour it back into the pan, and add a pinch or two of sugar.

Here's the steak, sliced up, ready to serve. Note the juniper berries on the surface, as well as a good smoke ring:

Name:	IMG_3424.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	12070

Here's the end result, I served it with home made hash browns, a classic. Keeping it simple.

Name:	IMG_3425.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	12071

The verdict
    I'll be honest with you folks, this was by far my best work. Just incredible. The pecan and the juniper was a match made in heaven. Great! On to the next challenge.

Have a great weekend, all.

Last edited by Henrik; August 24, 2014, 02:05 AM.

NICE!!!

come bow season the piggees better look out...

Comment

That sounds and looks fanastic. I really like the flavor combinations you don't hear every day.

Comment

Are there any "rules" out there as to how high of temp you need to cook the wild boar? I know the USDA dropped the pork temps, but is that also applicable to wild boar? No boars up here in Wisconsin, yet, but I hear rumors of some rogue stock in the southwest corner. But I am curious about a trip to Texas to hunt some up some day.

Comment

They still say 160 internal.

Comment

Swedish equivalent to USDA says 150 deg F (65 deg C) internal. Apart from regulations, I consider wild boar "semi-wild" (i.e. leaner, slightly different texture), and prefer not to heat it up as much as regular pork.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Feral pigs are VERY lean compared to domesticated stock.

that really looks superb I would love to try wild pig sometime

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here