Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild Mallard breast, HELP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henrik
    replied
    You're in luck, Powersmoke_80! Great to have a steady supply of duck. The flavor is just great. If you can get them with the skin on, do that next time. Not a deal breaker, but I like to cook 'em with the fatty skin on one side. The skin can be removed either right before serving, or by your guests when on the plate.

​Either way, some comments on the link Burntend posted:

Temp
    temp recommendation is good. 135 °F / 57° C is just right. Ducks are sensitive to too high temps, meaning they will very quickly become "chewy" if taken too high. Make sure you monitor temp real closely, as it is very easy, and goes very fast, to ruin duck breasts. They are thin, after all. Do not get them over 140° F / 60° C.

Seasoning
    I would avoid both the olive oil and the Italian seasoning. The oil because I (personally) don't think olive oil is the best match for duck, and I'm wary of the oil getting burnt while cooking, which will produce an unpleasant taste. The seasoning because duck meat has great flavor in itself, why mess it up with Italian (or any other) seasoning? This is a meat that just needs salt and pepper if you ask me.

Sauce
    As for the orange marmalade: spot on. Nothing complements duck better than a citrus concoction. Be that orange glaze, orange marmalade or something else. Here's my recipe for an orange glaze.

How to grill
    I would cook these indirect for a while (shouldn't take more than 45 minutes, but of course depends on how many you cook), to add some smoke flavor, then reverse sear using high direct heat. Just like you would cook a tri-tip or a sirloin, really. Again, monitor temp closely.

Serve
    Slice the duck breasts just like you do with a flank steak, diagonally in 3/4 in wide slices. Make sure they are a bit red in the middle.

Sides
    If you have the time to make a potato gratin, that is really good. Otherwise make a rich potato mash (with both butter and double cream in it).

Good luck, and let us know how it went!

Leave a comment:

• Burntend
    replied
    Haven't tried it personally but it looks reasonable.

Try making some prosciutto with one or two of the breasts!

Leave a comment:

• Powersmoke_80
    started a topic Wild Mallard breast, HELP?

Wild Mallard breast, HELP?

A young man at work loves duck hunting and gives them away so he brought me in a couple breasts and I'm looking for a killer way to grill theses dudes up. I've never done them before but have had them at a wild game dinner every year and they were done with an orange marmalade or something and they were awesome. Plan to use the SnS and I'm assuming med rare, just not sure what to marinade them in if that's the way to go or just brine and these are skinless also. Any Suggestions would be appreciated as i would like to grill these tomorrow.
    Thanks , Dean
    Henrik,Jon Solberg ,@Ernest,@Jerod Broussard,@Spinaker
    Last edited by Powersmoke_80; October 14, 2015, 04:36 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here