Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever done a deer roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever done a deer roast?

My brother-in-law gave us a whole deer last year. The back strap and even burger is all gone now and we're just left with some roasts. The wife made pot roast out of one and it was god-awful. Looking through the freezer the other day I came across these roasts and got the idea they could be smoked. Anyone done this? If so, can I get a little direction?

I've not been able to. We made a bunch of sausage with ours this past season. Deer season opens here first Sat. in October.

I'd like to get a nice neck roast, stuff that dude, wrap some bacon, and smoke away.

Comment

What exactly made it god-awful? Was it that it was tough/dry? Or was it more the flavor? Or a combination of both? I'm guessing that in a stew it was most likely overcooked, and having much less fat than beef that's not a good thing. I did a bison tip roast on the smoker not too long ago(I'm comparing the leanness of the meat here not the flavor). I cooked it like you would a prime rib to an internal temp of 130F - 135F and it came out great. Tender and very juicy.

Joel

Comment

It was extremely dry and tough. I was about to throw them away but I've had so much success with the grill and this website lately I thought they may be worthwhile. I'll give 130 degrees a shot. Is adding bacon necessary? I really enjoy deer's flavor.

Comment

No, it's just to add fat to the ultra lean venison.

Comment

I agree with Jerod. Venison is a very lean, tender meat. I never cook it more than medium rare. Any higher than that and at will be dry and tough. I cook a lot of venison roasts on the grill just using a basic offset cooking technique, nothing special. Use a good rub. I can't think of the type of rub I use, but it isn't a special "game" rub. You could try just oiling with pure olive oil and salt and pepper and some fresh herbs, if you don't have a rub to use. Remember to remove the silver skin.

I treat my venison like it is gourmet meat, not something to be be made into a pot roast (which technique over the years has led many people to hate venison!).

Because the roasts usually are not very big they will cook fast even at lower temps. So, you may want to sear the outside first before moving it away from the heat to roast up to temp. Don't give! you probably have a very good piece of meat there if you treat it right.

Comment

I agree, this is gourmet meat. I've done it many times, and as others state here, go easy on it. Smoke it indirectly to 130 degrees, then give it a quick sear, and (important) let it rest for 15 minutes. I would even skip the olive oil, I don't think the flavor goes well with that kind of meat (just my personal preference), just use plain vegetable oil, salt and pepper. That's it. This is the kind of meat you really want red/pink in the middle.

Good luck, and let us know how it went!

Comment

Another option is to grind the venison with bacon (50/50) and make some great bacon burgers. Or grind it with Jimmy Dean hot sausage (50/50) and make a nice lean breakfast sausage. Both are worth the effort.

Comment

I use venison to make all sorts of sausage. Weigh the roast so you know how much you have then go get a pork butt a few pounds heavier than what you've got. Mix the venison and pork 50:00 including all of the fat. Hopefully you have a decent meat grinder, if not, it sounds like you have a justifiable purchase coming up. :-) I've got a good recipe for Italian venison/pork sausage. Pepperoni has been a challenge. You can make links (more work), or just make ground sausage (easier). Then store it one pounds at a time in ziploc freezer bags. Makes a great breakfast sausage to eat as a side or mixed with scrambled eggs or in an omelet, or on a pizza. My freezer is still quite full from last season, looks like I need to get grilling so I can go hunting soon. :-)

Comment

I think everyone's covered it. The margin of error on venison is slim. Being so lean it goes from good to crap in no time. Temperature control and monitoring are vital. For roasts I usually use a strong flavored rub to take the gaminess out. I prefer making steaks out of the deer. Contrary to what I've read, venison does make a delicious pot roast, or better, brown it, deglaze the pan add some wine and make a dark brown sauce.

Comment

Hey guys, not sure how a roast would differ here, but my buddy got me a deer shoulder and I was going to try and smoke it. Based on what you guys are saying it seems like 130-135 degrees is a good internal temperature to bring it up to. What temperature should I smoke at? How long at said temperature would it take to reach 130-135? Thanks

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here