Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Game

I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but I am a HUGE wild game cooker and am looking for wild game recipes and ideas. From quail to geese and squirrel to moose. Most immediately needed are dove and teal cooking ideas since those are the two seasons about to open. If you good folks have any ideas, I would like to hear em.

Dove is soap and teal is a color, that is about the extent of my knowledge. Sorry, but maybe this will bump it up to some more experienced.

Comment

I don't have any pictures or specific recipes to attach, but I like grilling Dove breast.
      Take the breast, lay a few pieces of cream cheese accross it, put some jalapeño peppers on top, then wrap it all in Thick cut bacon. Use tooth pics to hold the bacon In place. Throw it on the kettle and cook until the bacon gets brown and crispy, by that time the dove breast will be done...

Sorry, it's not a formal recipe but it is great. Let me know if you try it.

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        We do the same thing with chunks of goose breast. Very tasty.

I like to soak teal in buttermilk, overnight, and make a wild rice casserole with it. Wild, rice, cream of mushroom, sweet onion, jalapenos, liberal amounts of SPG, dammit, now I'm hungry. They're really good with a coating of tiger sauce and the barded in bacon and slapped on a good hot kettle.

Comment

Thanks guys.
        We do our dove that way already with some small twists.... I soak the breast fillets in Italian Dressing overnight prior to cooking and before I wrap em, I give em a dose of Tony C's.

I am definitely going to give that Teal recipe a try.... And guess what season starts tomorrow????? Early Teal!!

Comment

Teal season is a blast, the bag limits need to be double so you can hunt more than 10 minutes.

All our ducks and geese back home stayed whole. Pot roasted with plenty gravy for the rice. Pieces of jalapeno and bacon inserted on the side of the keel bone.

I would love to hang some teal in the Pit Barrel.

Comment

The limits need to double so I don't run out of teal in the freezer!

Comment

Originally posted by x101airborne View Post
              The limits need to double so I don't run out of teal in the freezer!
              Haha, no doubt. I called dad and told him I needed a teal to hang in my Pit Barrel.

Comment

Jerod Broussard, My son bagged some doves and wants me to grill dove breasts for dinner. I plan to put cream cheese, jalapeños, and bacon on each breast piece. Should I aim for 325F in the indirect zone and 160F internal temp just as we do for chicken?
                Last edited by olvrab00; September 26, 2015, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  olvrab00 That should do it (160-165).

If you have the skin on 325 is most definitely needed.

Jerod Broussard, Thank you! The breasts are skinless. Pics will be posted later.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  325 will still do it to it billy pruitt.

I would love any tips for goose! My neighbor is going to dispatch one for us for Christmas dinner, and I have never cooked one ever. I feel with that much fat low and slow sounds like a plan, but I just love when you get those gorgeous pink duck breasts, I worry about overcooking it. Thoughts?

Comment

AliCT , Lots of ways to cook a goose. Is it whole with skin on?

You might find some info here as well:

Hank Shaw's website featuring more than 1200 wild game recipes, fish and seafood recipes, foraging tips, fermentation, preserving, and pasta.

http://www.recipehawk.com/recipes-ro...ose-I-P20.html
                  Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 24, 2015, 08:05 AM.

Comment

It's a whole, fat skin-on goose, Jon Solberg thank you for the tips there!

Comment

Got nothing for dove or teal. We have a friend who's a big-time hunter and we all help with ideas & preparation when he comes back from a successful hunt. So far, duck breast in a wine sauce has worked well, and ground venison shoulder with MH bacon ends & fat (about 80/20) have been the biggest hits.

Comment

For dove or teal you can't go wrong with this recipe! Especially good if you use homemade bacon, but still awesome with store bought! http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/fo...ad.php?t=98372

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here