Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all taco seasoning recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all taco seasoning recipes

I went through the site lookin' for recipes, but only found one by ecowper and it was from 2017. I bookmarked it, but wonder who else has a recipe?

I'm gonna smoke a chucky tomorrow so I can use it for tacos. I normally just use store bought, but thought someone here might peak my interest with something better. I'm not looking to change the world, so Panhead John please no need to post a recipe with pineapple or kumquats, or somethin' similar in it.

What about parsnips or beets?...... Here, you’re welcome.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; March 5, 2021, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      don't forget the pineapple!

Here is one I use, pretty good.

Taco Seasoning Mix

Yield: about ½ cup (Enough to season approx. 8 lb of meat)

Ingredients:
    • ¼ cup + 3 tablespoons chili powder
    • 1 tablespoon + ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1 tablespoon + ½ teaspoon ground paprika
    • 1 tablespoon + ½ teaspoon sea salt
    • 1 tablespoon + ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
    • 1¾ teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1¾ teaspoon onion powder
    • 1¾ teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1 teaspoon crushed Aleppo pepper flakes or ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Preparation:
    1. Stir together all of the ingredients in an airtight container or glass jar. Store at room temperature.
    To Use with Taco Meat: Brown the meat (ground beef or chicken) over medium heat until cooked through. Drain. Return to the stove over med-high heat and add â…” cup of water and 2 tbsp of the taco seasoning mix. Simmer, stirring frequently, until all of the liquid has evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes.

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/homema...seasoning-mix/ (Recipe adapted from Allrecipes; originally seen on The Little Kitchen)

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I printed this out Thanks!

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I used your recipe and it was very good. I did have to cut back on the things with heat in 'em 'cause my wife only wants a hint of heat. Still tasty though.

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB Glad you liked it. I have to do the same because of my wife also. That's why the Aleppo pepper instead of cayenne

Following. It’s like the universe is listening. I just decided I needed to learn to make my own, at least know how if I run out of commercial brand,
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; March 5, 2021, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Recipe?

What is this recipe of which you speak?

With smoked chucky, I crisp it up with cumin seed (and sometimes some onion) and then add too much chili powder.

Then I add more chili powder. If it starts looking too dry, I moisten with some beef broth or even chicken broth.

Comment

I would pretty much agree with ofelles above combination, that's pretty classic. You might want to re-read some of my taco write-ups of recent. Here's the birria one, you may want to pick up on some other flavor profiles.

As a continuation of my series paying homage to the Netflix’s documentary called the Taco Chronicles, I promised for my next selection I would do some Birria Tacos. Since then both barelfly and 58limited have offered up fine and very delicious examples of both beef and goat versions. Trying not to be too redundant, I offer up

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Since my wife is not a real Mex or Tex-Mex fan, so I'm not gonna spend a lot of time on this - at least for tomorrow, but I remember that post and it's on my list.
          Last edited by RonB; March 5, 2021, 10:07 PM.

So, what are you calling all taco recipes?

We use a store bought which is really Tex-Mex.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Dito on store-bought.

I know it’s too late for this option and it’s not exactly what you are looking for but I use the following. I buy it at Walmart. I’ll smoke my chuckies with just salt and pepper so I can use it for two or three different meals. After I shred the meat I’ll warm this up in a pan and toss the shredded beef into it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	417A10FE-297D-4E16-998D-FD402D6C3ED7.jpeg
Views:	499
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	999716

Name:	E28DB9A8-AFB9-4303-8A71-F5F371A7BC41.jpeg
Views:	493
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	999715

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          What, no disodium phosphate? Potassium chloride? Hydrogen cyanide? It must be pretty tasteless.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m with ya Cap! It just ain’t the same without Hydrogen Cyanide. Bland indeed.

For smoked chuckie tacos, I season the chuckie as I normally would and pull it. I crisp it up in a skillet, but I’m usually reheating leftovers. I’ve taken to not using anything but salt and pepper when seasoning beef for tacos. Use chiles, hot sauces, and salsas to add various flavors. For chicken tacos I still season pretty heavily. I use chile powder, smoked paprika, Mexican oregano, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and cumin.
        Last edited by Red Man; March 6, 2021, 12:30 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Where’s the Hydrogen Cyanide?......Loser.
          🤓

This is my go to store-bought taco seasoning for beef and chicken. It brings Mexico to your BBQ. couple questionable ingredients possibly but tastes great! Who doesn't love a little FD&C Yellow #5 or silicon dioxide?

Name:	IMG_20210305_210623406.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	999810

Name:	IMG_20210305_210721621.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	999811

Name:	IMG_20210305_210647718.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	999812

Name:	IMG_20210305_210710582.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	999809

Comment

My general purpose chili powder blend:

4 Tbsp ground New Mexico chile powder
          2 tsp Ancho chile powder
          2 tsp Chipotle chile powder
          1/2 tsp Arbol chile powder

To make "taco seasoning"

1/4 C chili powder
          4 tsp ground cumin
          2 tsp garlic powder
          2 tsp onion powder
          2 tsp paprika
          2 tsp Mexican oregano
          optional: add more ground chili Arbol/Chipotle, etc. to suit taste
          Salt and pepper to taste if used as rub. Omit the s/p for use in chili, soups, stews, and season with s/p separately.

Comment

• Santamarina
            Santamarina commented
            Editing a comment
            Your chili powder blend sounds good. Similar to what I often use, but I haven worked out the recipe for my blend.

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            @Santamarino - Just a guide. I often change ratios and sometimes use different chilies, it depends what a find when at the market. One of my favorite chilies is the Guajillo for making chili, but I don't find them often or I find ones that are past there prime.

I have an entire cabinet full of various seasonings, and not to knock those who find it convenient to use them, but ditch the pre-packaged varieties. First you have no idea of the age of the spices (yes they do degrade) as well as the nefarious additives. Second you can go to a lot of even local or special groceries and pick up fresh ingredients to blend your own. On line is an excellent alternative.

Most of us spend a lot of time with cooking fresh food, why not have that same outcome with the seasonings you use on those dishes?

(He now steps down from his soap box. OH LOOK, THERE’S A PUPPY !!)

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Preach Troutman but sometimes a little shortcut will do in a pinch.

ssandy_561 the frontera products are really good! I have the green Chile enchilada sauce waiting for a batch of Sheila-quiles.

As for taco seasoning, I use AB’s recipe and riff on it when I need to. It’s like the Lawrys packet stuff. I omit the cornstarch.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2115513

Comment

Ingredients:
            • 2 teaspoons chili powder
            • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
            • 1 teaspoon onion powder
            • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
            • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
            • 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
            • ½ teaspoons ground cumin
            • ½ teaspoon sea salt
            • ½ teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
            1. In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.

Note: For tacos, brown 1 lb ground meat with 3 Tbsp mix. Add 2/3 cup water and let simmer about 15 mins until thickened. This recipe makes 3 Tbsp of mix!

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Stevo You get an attaboy !!

Ok folks, it was a successful cook and a good dinner. I forgot to take photos until I plated the tacos. so only one pic:

Name:	20210306_182423[1].jpg
Views:	364
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1000202

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here