Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to butterfly carne asada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to butterfly carne asada

This is a video by one of my local butchers about how to properly trim and butterfly ranchera-style carne asada flap meat. This is the only cut to use for proper Mexican asada, but I'll sometimes use thinly sliced shoulder (espadilla) and it turns out tasty.

luisbutchershop.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, luisbutchershop.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Amazing, a cut above. The meat is fantastic, slicing technique too.

Comment

Very well done.

Comment

Diesmillo works too since it’s a bit cheaper, but proper carne asada is definitely ranchera.

Comment

• latenight71
          latenight71 commented
          Editing a comment
          Totally. Any of the thin cuts, really. Flap and shoulder seeem to have more marble though. I like the diesmillo best for making breaded steak milanesa for sammies!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Let's not forget about butterflied flank as well. We've been getting some top quality American Wagyu of late in this area and its fantastic.

The guy has skills. I’m jealous.

Comment

Found flap meat for the first time recently. Oh my god is that a tasty cut. Made carne asada too - Kenji’s recipe. It was spectacular.

Comment

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            I love Kenji's carne asada recipe. In the summer I usually make some every other week and have people over for tacos.

Totally new experience for me. I will have to poke around & see if some can be had locally.

Comment

• latenight71
            latenight71 commented
            Editing a comment
            you can usually find the whole flap but not cut in butterfly cut. even in southern california it's mostly a mexican market cut (done correctly) but major chains will also stock it but it's cut much thicker (trying to mimic the mexican cut but they don;t know how), and ends up more like a flank steak.

JCBBQ I also recently found flap meet at our local CHEF'STORE (formerly Smart Foodservice, formerly Cash&Carry). I find that I can substitute it for flank and skirt. Nice marbling even in choice.

Comment

• latenight71
            latenight71 commented
            Editing a comment
            you need to think outside the neighborhood. got this on first googlebox search for "spokane, wa mexican market" - http://lamichoacananw.com/index.php/carniceria
            it looks solid. sure there are many others.

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            latenight71 That one is in my neighborhood. I get primals from ChefStore and break them down myself. I see some meat in a bag in one of their pics but not sure which it is. Could be tri-tip. Will have to check them out. Also, might have to check out the restaurant. We usually go to De Leon's. But this store is much closer.

Great video! I have multiple packs of Flap in the freezer. I think one of the packs is from the local ranch and I haven’t had this cut from them in the past, so will be interesting to see how it’s butchered. But, I’ll make sure to cut these down a bit as he does.

I haven’t made tacos in a few weeks.......although I did make Taco Salad tonight thanks for sharing this video!

Comment

Flap meat is fantastic! It’s good for tacos, but it’s also fantastic on its own with a good hard sear. 😋

Comment

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah when I made it I didn’t slice it thin like this. I cooked them in little steaks sort of the same thickness as skirt. It was delicious

Hmmm, I have a nice piece of flap thawing in the freezer right now. Might have to give this a shot.

I will be sure to post some "after" pictures when get back from urgent care with a handful of stitches.

Comment

That video is a joy to watch. A master at his craft.

Kathryn

Comment

Great vid,,,
                thanks for posting

Comment

Guy's got skills for sure. Obviously he does this day in, day out so he better be good at it !! He's also working with a large piece of flap, that makes it easier to carve off pieces. Most of the stuff I see in the grocery store has already been processed so it's hard to make thinner cuts out of already thinly cut meat.

You're lucky to have a butcher of that quality however. Looking over his website most of his product looks first rate. My butcher is also a big proponent of CAB beef. I too like it for its consistent quality. It's not top prime or anywhere near wagyu, but it's generally really top end choice or low end prime.

Thanks for the vid, makes me want to do some carne asada tacos tonight !!!
                  Last edited by Troutman; February 24, 2021, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Have not done Carne Asada before. I should add this to my "To Do" list. Thanks for the posts.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here