Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tamales 🫔

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tamales 🫔

Click image for larger version

Name:	F9CF579C-1280-48C8-80C0-6861E386B3DB.jpeg
Views:	462
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	976861Click image for larger version

Name:	0E0DE598-2268-4868-8F21-85A712A10BB6.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	976860 Got some of these from https://texaslonestartamales.com
    very good and so convenient and easy to prepare, there pre cooked and you can reheat in oven from frozen! Taste like an authentic homemade meal, topped with some homemade red sauce 😃

Good tamales are hard to find. Those look pretty good!

I asked once for the recipe my grandmother used, and an uncle told me she never made them herself, she bought them from a woman who set up shop in a supermarket parking lot!
    Last edited by Mark V; January 19, 2021, 08:12 PM.

Comment

They look great!

Comment

Those look great! And nice addition of the red chile on top!

I must admit - I saw the title with your name......straight thought you were about to show me how to make scratch tamales!!! It was one thing I have never done and thought you may just tell show this New Mexican how it’s done!!

Comment

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Here ya go -- https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...d-pork-tamales

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you both - Oak Smoke and IowaGirl for showing this New Mexico boy how it’s done! I know tamale making is a chore, which is the main reason I haven’t made these.

Did either of you use a bit of red chile mixed into your masa? I looked at the Serious Eats recipe and it didn’t call for it. Just curious? I know that messes with the hydration ratio for the masa, but really brings some flavor to the overall tamale.
          Last edited by barelfly; January 20, 2021, 08:21 AM.

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          No, I didn't, but I can see why adding it would be tasty.

While homemade tamales are wonderful, I don't have the inclination to spend a weekend in the kitchen making them. I either buy them at the Mexican grocery store when the owners wife makes them, or I order from Texas Lone Star Tamales. They are very good. And if you order enough they don't charge for shipping.

Comment

Looked so good that I ordered a party pack !

Comment

• marshall
            marshall commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice, let us know how you like them!

• Greygoose
            Greygoose commented
            Editing a comment
            Will do

barelfly We add some of the liquid from the puréed chili/onion/garlic/cilantro mix we use for the meat filling in ours gives the masa a great flavor and a little color.

Comment

Do you eat the corn husks for the roughage? You know LIke burrito?

Comment

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              That's fer sure, good buddy. Didn't cha know -- they'll take care of your hemorrhoids.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here