Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enchiladas for the mortals that might be here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enchiladas for the mortals that might be here

For those of you that have kids, are not yet retired, are somewhat lazy, and/or have not mastered the techniques of the entire world in your cooking, I've recently found a way to make easy great ground beef enchiladas at home. For those that don't fit those descriptions and that make your own tortillas and enchilada sauce you can move along now.

Hatch brand red enchilada sauce is pretty awesome. Pairs very well with Chi-Chi's seasoning in ground beef. It also pairs well with chicken breasts covered in pace picante and a little Malcom Reed's Gringo seasoning in crock pot (then shredded), and fair with chuck roast with same Gringo seasoning, but was awesome with Chi-Chi's ground beef.

I've made enchiladas like 3 times in 10 years previously and now 3 times in last 2 weeks since finding the Hatch sauce. Brown ground beef, follow Chi-Chi's seasoning directions, fill your favorite flour fajita tortillas (our personal preference over corn) with beef and a little cheese. Put a thin layer of sauce in bottom of pan (to prevent sticking mostly), put filled enchiladas in, spoon sauce over just enough to almost fully cover each enchilada, cover with cheese. Bake 375 15-20 until sauce is bubbling and cheese just starts to brown.

I'll do my best to get pictures of the finished product next time...I didn't think this was really a share recipe, but upon further consideration it is...for mortals.

I'm not trying to brag at all because there's nothing special here and nothing I've invented personally, but I would say to me (and my wife and daughter - daughter will not normally even eat an enchilada - and she's ate these twice) these enchiladas were 10x better than anything I ever tried to make at home previously with canned sauce and better than at least half of the enchiladas I've gotten at local Mexican joints as part of a combo platter.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by glitchy; January 15, 2021, 12:28 AM.

I think this looks great for a quick recipe. I have not heard of Hatch but will see if it is available here. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

When I worked in a soup kitchen (during my early retirement days) we would make enchilada casserole. It involved tearing up the tortillas and layering all of the ingredients before heating in the oven. You could easily do that with your ingredients.
      Last edited by gcdmd; January 15, 2021, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Definition: Chi-Chi is a beautiful woman with long straight black hair, large black eyes, a lighter skin color, and a curvaceous and slender figure.

I like em too, enchiladas that is.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotta have a dozen cold PBR's on hand too.

There used to be a joke about Chi-Chi but I forgot it, anyway Hatch products are good. They sell the full line in our grocery.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Depending on whether you are in Spain or Mexico, chi chi translates to various female body parts. Mexico the northern placed, Spain the southern, if you catch my drift...

"For those of you that have kids, are not yet retired, are somewhat lazy"

Well, I almost made one. No kids, not yet retired, but am very lazy, I suppose I can make an effort be somewhat!

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm hitting on all three cylinders on that.

Hatch is a pretty decent can.

Comment

The Hatch stuff is really good. It's actually kind of hard to justify making your own versions unless you want to really tailor something to your preferences.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I was actually looking at recipes to try to make some and we happened to see this in the store. Needless to say, I quit looking for recipes.

I’ll have to see if we have those in our stores. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Take the word somewhat from in front of lazy and you got me. I'll be making this soon, thanks for the tip

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              I just down like to call myself outright lazy...but I probably am.

That looks really good!

Comment

What are these "flour" tortilla things you speak of?

Comment

Proper Enchiladas start by birthing and raising the cow first, then you can plant the wheat to mill your flour.. come on! Go all in!

Comment

I do a very similar thing but use pulled chicken. Super easy and really delicious.
                  I haven’t used or seen the Hatch sauce here but will definitely take another look to find it.

Comment

I've never seen Hatch products up here, something else to sleuth now.
                    There was a few Mexican eateries up here called Chi Chi's, had really passable Mexican food for the time.
                    A signature dish was deep fried ice cream.

Comment

• glitchy
                      glitchy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I actually miss Chi-Chi’s restaurants. The cornbread stuff they had was great.

• TripleB
                      TripleB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Deep fried ice cream.....there’s a blast from the past. In college (many, many moons ago) I was a bartender in a Mexican restaurant. And they served deep fried ice cream. That ice cream and UCLA cheerleaders was a hot dish.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here