Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Enchiladas with Red Hatch Chili Sauce Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Enchiladas with Red Hatch Chili Sauce Recipe

By Request of @PBCDad here is the enchilada recipe from the pics I posted in the SUWYC thread. My college buddy developed this recipe. The sauce is doctored canned enchilada sauce. A couple of times a year he would invite his friends over for an enchilada dinner. We would arrive and help make them (lots of work, goes faster and easier with several people helping - plus great excuse to hang out in the kitchen drinking beer). The recipe makes three 9 X 13 pans. I made one pan and will freeze the chicken stuffing for later - if you freeze a whole pan of pre-made enchiladas the tortillas get soggy. (OK, spell check doesn't recognize "pre-made" and suggests "pee-made" - uhm, no thanks)

I'll post the recipe as my friend wrote it but I made my own enchilada sauce so I'll post that at the end.

Jim's Chicken Enchiladas

Chicken mixture:

8 leg quarters, skinned (I used 12 boneless skinless thighs)
    1 medium onion, diced
    4 jalapenos, diced
    2 1/2 T cumin (I used 3 T)
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    S&P to taste
    Colby Jack cheese, either a block to grate or pre-grated. 2 cups in meat mixture and the rest for topping.

[I also added two chopped roasted skinned Hatch Charger chilies to the meat mixture]

Corn tortillas this recipe makes about 45 +/- enchiladas.

Place chicken in stock pot on med-low heat. It will form its own juices. (With the boneless skinless thighs I added a little water. I also placed a round rack in the bottom to keep the chicken off the bottom to prevent burning). Cook an hour or so until done, drain and allow to cool. (note, keep the drained broth to use in other recipes). remove bones and shred.

Add the rest of the ingredients and 2 cups cheese, mix well. (You can add more cheese, its like bacon: the more the merrier).

Sauce:

3 - 19oz. cans enchilada sauce
    2 1/2 T chili powder
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 green tomatoes, diced (not sure why he added this ingredient but I add it)
    1 - 14 oz can tomato sauce
    1 - 8 oz can tomato sauce
    1 T cumin (I usually add 2 - I really like cumin)
    2 large jalapenos, diced

Combine all ingredients, bring to light boil and simmer 10-15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350* and add some sauce to the bottom of the casserole pan. Take a corn tortilla, spray both sides with PAM and heat in a skillet, flipping once, until soft and easy to roll without breaking. (you could also steam them, they need to be hot and pliable). Add a small handful of meat mixture, roll, and place in pan. When the pan is full, top with more sauce and with cheese, cover and bake 30-40 minutes. Uncover to brown cheese. Serve and enjoy.

My sauce, loosely based on this recipe:

http://chefdavedettmen.com/recipe/ha...chilada-sauce/

12 dried Hatch red chili pods, stemmed and seeded
    1 medium onion, diced
    8 cloves garlic, whole
    Olive oil for sauteing

Rinse chili pods, place in stock pot and add just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a skillet, add olive oil, and onions and whole garlic cloves. Cook until onions begin to brown (garlic will brown too - move to edge of skillet if overcooking). Add onions/garlic to the peppers and simmer another 30 minutes.

Be careful - its hot! Place 1/2 chili pod mixture, and some of the cooking water in a blender. Blend until smooth. Repeat with other half. Add more cooking water to desired consistency - I used it all. Put back into stock pot and bring to a simmer.

Add:

6 oz. tomato paste
    2 tsp Mexican Oregano
    1 T plus 1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chipotle powder
    1 tsp Kosher salt
    1 tsp. black pepper
    2 tsp. turbinado sugar

I also added the stuff my friend used to doctor his sauce:

2 diced green tomatoes
    2 diced jalapenos
    2 minced garlic cloves
    3 T chili powder
    1 - 29 oz. can tomato sauce
    In addition, I also added 2 tsp Better Than Bullion Chicken Base

Simmer for 15 minutes. Add some of the reserved chicken stock (from parboiling the chicken) if the sauce is too thick.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3197.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	917401
    Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3196.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	917399
    Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3198.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1,014.0 KB ID:	917398

Served with a fried egg on top a la New Mexico style

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3202.JPG Views:	0 Size:	870.2 KB ID:	917400
    Last edited by 58limited; September 28, 2020, 02:27 PM.

Wow! I read "War and Peace" in less time than this recipe. 🤣 I’m too lazy for all that. But again, it looks fantastic!

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am like you John. Wayyyyy too lazy for all that. But having said that, I do love enchiladas snd would gladly accept an invite to eat this version!

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Just take the red chile base recipe he posted, cook up some chicken and shred it. Corn tortillas, cheese and you have yourself some knockout enchiladas.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      barelfly I agree, this can be simplified. You could even buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it for use. It would taste fine with just the chicken and some cheese as a filling.

Thanks. I think I am going to scale it down and try it out!

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers I made one mistake in the post that I corrected: 2 tsp. of Mexican oregano, not 2 tablespoons.

This is a great recipe, the base Recipe for the red chile is very close to what is authentic to New Mexico. It is a simple, yet delicious taste!

If anyone makes red chile like this, letting it simmer for a while can help take away the bitterness that some feel red chile has. Some like it, others don’t. But, simmering so it gets a nice sheen on the top will help. You can also use some sugar to help balance the bitterness.

Also, the base you have, take some pork butt, cube it up and brown in a pot, then add just this red chile base sauce and let it cook for a few hours and you have one of the best recipes of carne adovada! Put this on anything, papas (potatoes/hash browns) eggs, in a burrito.....whatever. Ice cream it goes with everything!

You can even make carne adovada ribs......you talk about a treat!

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Good gawd man.... Stop!! I chowed already and now I want pork. I cooked more guajillos today than you can shake a stick at. Chile galore the last three weeks. Spicy Tenderloin tacos on tap for tomorrow. Man I need pork now

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey haha! The carne adovada ribs.....just wait!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey I hear ya, Brother! :cool

My blood levels can git all kinda wonkified, if I'm low on pork, even if I jus set down fer several hours previous, an et like a doggone Viking!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 30, 2020, 07:30 PM.

This looks and sounds really good. I've been looking for a recipe like this for the chicken filling to make enchiladas or even tacos. If I make it, I think I would put all of the filling ingredients other than the cheese in the pot together (or Instant Pot) so there flavors mix together. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Might the green tomatoes be tomatillos?

Nice recipe, BTW!

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        No, they are tomatoes. I helped him make this in college several times.
        Last edited by 58limited; September 28, 2020, 02:28 PM.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I will add, he was from Chicago and at first was not used to TexMex, fried foods, etc. He could have very well read or been told tomatillos, a green tomato-like veggie, by someone and "translated" that to green tomatoes.

Those look fantastic. Great job. I make my own chicken enchiladas from scratch too. Not as involved as yours. However, mine has Mole and Mexican chocolate in it. I see that yours has some raw sugar. Do you ever find that yours is too sweet sometimes? I've cut back on the chocolate because of that.

It is a family favorite as I am sure yours is. Again great job.

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        For the volume of sauce the sugar is pretty insignificant - I can't taste it. I think it helps to cut the bitterness of the dried red peppers though.
        Last edited by 58limited; September 28, 2020, 05:50 PM.

That's looks amazeballs! Am definitely stealing this recipe!

Comment

Those look awesome! I believe the more love you put into a recipe the better it tastes!

Comment

Leftovers are always nice!!!

Comment

Sometimes hanging around here is so unfair.

Comment

I'm grateful my wife is Mexican-American. I don't have the patience to make these from scratch. The main issue with Mexican food is the clean up afterwards. I swear, my wife can't boil an egg without filling half the sink with dishes.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s what my wife says of me when I do Chinese.

Wow, thanks for sharing!

Comment

I was dividing uo the meat mix to freeze and I made a small batch a little differently: I put some Hatch chili salsa verde in with the stuffing. Turned out good, more flavor in an already flavorful dish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3203.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	917981

Name:	100_3204.JPG
Views:	543
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	917980

Name:	100_3205.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	917979

Comment

I did end up making and canning another batch of the sauce. I wound up with 2 quarts left over from the first batch and 3 1/2 quarts from the second batch.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here