Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish Taco on your grill...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish Taco on your grill...

I just stumbled on to this recipe. It looks fantastic. I'm going to make this for lunch tomorrow. I thought some of you Pit members might enjoy this also.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/vid...Video_browse_2

SERVES 6

Mahi-mahi, tuna, and halibut fillets are all suitable substitutes for the swordfish, but to ensure the best results buy 1-inch-thick fillets and cut them in a similar fashion to the swordfish.

INGREDIENTS

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
    2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    Salt
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1/2 cup orange juice
    6 tablespoons lime juice (3 limes)
    2 pounds skinless swordfish steaks, 1 inch thick, cut lengthwise into 1-inch-wide strips
    1 pineapple, peeled, quartered lengthwise, cored, and each quarter halved lengthwise
    1 jalapeño chile
    18 (6-inch) corn tortillas
    1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
    2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, plus extra for serving
    1/2 head iceberg lettuce (4 1/2 ounces), cored and thinly sliced
    1 avocado, halved, pitted, and sliced thin
    Lime wedges
    INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil, ancho chile powder, and chipotle chile powder in 8-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and some bubbles form, 2 to 3 minutes. Add oregano, coriander, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt and continue to cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds longer. Add tomato paste and, using spatula, mash tomato paste with spice mixture until combined, about 20 seconds. Stir in orange juice and 2 tablespoons lime juice. Cook, stirring constantly, until thoroughly mixed and reduced slightly, about 2 minutes. Transfer chile mixture to large bowl and let cool for 15 minutes.

2. Add swordfish to bowl with chile mixture, and stir gently with rubber spatula to coat fish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.

3A. FOR A CHARCOAL GRILL: Open bottom vent completely. Light large chimney starter mounded with charcoal briquettes (7 quarts). When top coals are partially covered with ash, pour evenly over grill. Set cooking grate in place, cover, and open lid vent completely. Heat grill until hot, about 5 minutes.

3B. FOR A GAS GRILL: Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Turn all burners to medium-high.

4. Clean cooking grate, then repeatedly brush grate with well-oiled paper towels until grate is black and glossy, 5 to 10 times. Brush both sides of pineapple with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Place fish on half of grill. Place pineapple and jalapeño on other half. Cover and cook until fish, pineapple, and jalapeño have begun to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Using thin spatula, flip fish, pineapple, and jalapeño over. Cover and continue to cook until second sides of pineapple and jalapeño are browned and swordfish registers 140 degrees, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer fish to large platter, flake into pieces, and tent with aluminum foil. Transfer pineapple and jalapeño to cutting board.

5. Clean cooking grate. Place half of tortillas on grill. Grill until softened and speckled with brown spots, 30 to 45 seconds per side. Wrap tortillas in dish towel or foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

6. When cool enough to handle, finely chop pineapple and jalapeño. Transfer to medium bowl and stir in bell pepper, cilantro, and remaining 4 tablespoons lime juice. Season with salt to taste. Top tortillas with flaked fish, salsa, lettuce, and avocado. Serve with lime wedges and extra cilantro.
    Last edited by Breadhead; May 29, 2015, 03:26 PM.

Looks great... thanks!

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      There's a Fish Taco chain of restaurants in California called Rubio's that I've patronized for 15 years or longer. They made the Fish Taco famous!

I'd rather make them at home. However they have some kick ass taco sauces that compliment those Taco's nicely. I'm gonna have to figure that out next.

I was wondering what you were doing with Fish Tacos with Rubio's right around the corner. But this recipe sounds quite different than Baja Fish Tacos (I've posted my recipe for these before). Let us know what the taste of these is like.

I've also found an Avocado "Relish" that I really like with them (courtesy of Bobby Flay's BBQ Addiction):

Ingredients
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 serrano chile, seeded and roughly chopped
    2 tablespoons pine nuts
    Kosher salt
    Ground Black Pepper
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
    2 ripe Haas avocados, halved, pitted and diced
    2 tablespoons lime juice

Put the garlic, pine nuts, serrano and some salt in a mortar and pestle and mash to a chunky, pesto-like consistency. Add the cliantro and continue to mash; the pesto should be very coarse.

Put the avocados and lime juice in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Gently fold in the peso until just combined, being careful not to mash the avocado too much.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here