Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't my tortillas "puff?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't my tortillas "puff?"

I'm trying to learn to make my own corn tortillas using instant Masa. The two videos I've watched both say that you hit one side til the edges are translucent (we never see a change in the edges no matter how long we wait) then flip and cook for a minute, then flip and push in on the center of the tortilla and it should puff-up and inflate. Ours never puff up. What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by hoovarmin; June 7, 2020, 03:20 PM.

When i’ve made corn tortillas using maseca, some puff others don’t. Maseca is the ground corn, just add water stuff - is that what you are using when you say instant Masa?

As for the translucency, they do change a bit, more so just lose that raw dough look, if I recall correctly.

How do they taste? that’s really all that matters I think.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I forgot - yes, instant Maseca

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      hoovarmin send me the ones you don’t like....I have carne asada leftovers that I’ll use them for hahah

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      barelfly right on, brother

How do you fry your corn tortilla's (shallow vs. deep) and what technique do you use to get them into the taco shape?

Comment

• gregncecily
      gregncecily commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm guilty of all 3 as well. Will try to use more water to make them wetter. Thanks

You really want to know?

Comment

hoovarmin I was having the same problem so I asked our head cook at work. He said it was probably that my masa was too dry, possibly that my technique sucks, and almost certainly because I'm a gringo.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL, guilty of all three here!

Originally posted by mnavarre View Post
      hoovarmin I was having the same problem so I asked our head cook at work. He said it was probably that my masa was too dry, possibly that my technique sucks, and almost certainly because I'm a gringo.
      Ha ha ha ha ha!!! I love it!

Comment

I have on my list to do puffy tacos using SeriousEats recipe for San Antonio-Style Puffy Tacos with Ground Beef Filling. I have done it before but that was a few years ago. I also have only done it using oil to fry them, not just on a hot comal. Did you let the dough hydrate long enough? I have tried to make pita's but have the same issue of not puffing up.

Comment

I use Maseca and mix with warm water until I get play-dough consistency. You can add a pinch of salt if you want. Adding too much water will prevent tortilla puffing.
          Let the dough ball rest for about 20 minutes before you start portioning.

Let your griddle or skillet heat up until it is smoking hot - This is very important! The surface needs to be hot as hades before you start using it.

Make your dough ball about the size of a golf ball and press as usual and then immediately place it onto your hot surface. Do not touch it!

After 15 seconds you should be able to slide it around, flip it and let it cook for about a minute. Do not touch it!

After one minute, flip it and gently press/tap the center of the tortilla or just give it a quick gentle press with your spatula. That should make it puff up. After 15 seconds flip it and cook for another 15 seconds and you’re done.

Not all tortillas will puff up like a balloon. Many will just develop air pockets. It doesn’t matter because it doesn’t affect taste.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here