Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe for Tortillas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe for Tortillas?

It seems like another victim of the mad buying syndrome is ready made tortillas. Would anyone like to share a recipe for homemade tortillas? Thanks!

I've used Shannon Rollins receipt with good success, though I usually use lard instead of shortenin. Definitely include th bacon grease!

Most times I jus buy some, but that's not always possible, here lately.

Betcha HouseHomey has a good one to contribute.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice video. Thanks! His wife is a real cutie.

K.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, Shannon's recipe is great. Love Kent and Shannon. They have a great youtube channel and are just good people.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc De nada, Milady!
      An I'd haveta agree, Shannon ain't too dang hard on these ol eyebulbs!

I've made flour tortillas, they were pretty good, but there is very little variation in the online recipes. I don't remember which one I used, but the fat was vegetable oil and no spices or herbs. I didn't quite roll mine thin enough. They weren't so much better than store bought that I'd do it often. But if you can't get store-bought, then it's definitely worth it. I would like to try making corn tortillas though.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd like to also try th corn, reckon I first need to remember to stock me up some masa...

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones you will love fresh corn tortillas! Maseca is easy to work with, I have not tried the ready made masa because I don’t know what the shelf life is on it. But, definitely find some! So much better!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      There's a great Mexican gocer here, other side o town...I'll haveta look there first, vs endurin th grocery store, only to git gringo equivalents...failin that, I know how to click a mouse, fairly well...
      Any brand reccomends? What're ya usin, there? What have ya used, an didn't like? All would be helpful to know.
      Thanks in advance, Brother!

I haven't made these yet but they are on the short list of things to do: Hatch pepper tortillas:

This time of year, I start to go chile pepper mad. Okay, I admit that I’m always cooking with chiles, but in August and September they are at their absolute best. Their flavor is so much brighter and…

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      These sound really really good, Brother!
      I might haveta sub on th peppers, since Hatch only avalaible here by mail, frozen, or canned, but that jus means I git to experiment. I'm totally cool wit dat.
      I can do up some peppers, I'd reckon.
      This opens a Door, amigo.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 13, 2020, 10:38 AM.

Mr. Bones has it right. Bacon grease in my flour tortillas are the secret ingredient. Stick to animal fats rather than Crisco or oil.

Comment

I've made this recipe a couple of times and it makes really good tortillas.

And, yeah, hog fat is key.

Comment

In college I dated a Mexican woman who taught me her family recipe for tortillas. The fat is always lard, the water should be warm (or at least room temp) and the cooking surface should always be cast iron. You can get a comal but I just use my standard Lodge skillet. A tortilla warmer or basket with a cloth on top will keep them warm.

Unfortunately I don't know what proportions she used anymore, but I keep those tips in mind and just adapt them for any recipe I find off Google.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here