Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a suggestion - Nachos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a suggestion - Nachos

I'm planning to make some nachos for the SB festivities. I have some leftover pulled pork which was in the freezer vac sealed. I'm looking for some suggestions on how to spice it up and/or flavorize it to put on the nachos. Should I sprinkle on some rub? Spice mix? Sauce of some kind? Leave it naked? I'm looking for the finished nachos to be a fairly traditional tex/mex flavor, not BBQ nachos. Other layers will be black olives, pickled jalapenos, Rotel hot diced tomatoes, cheddar and pepper jack cheese, scallion, guac on the side. . .

spread them out on sheet pan, sprinkle with cumin and toss, then broil until the tops start to brown. We do this often.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea, but I don't have a functioning broiler at the moment.

I'd hit them with a heavy dose of chili powder and cumin in a hot skillet. Maybe add some sweet onion to carmelize in that mix.

Comment

If you can find it, Mexican Crema (it is a sweeter version of sour cream), mix in Topatio or Chula and siracha sauce. Drizzle over the other toppings, sprinkle with shredded 4 cheese (Kraft is fine for this) and then do the broil step. Nice kick with some extra creaminess to scoop up.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I already have small blocks of extra sharp cheddar and pepper jack which I will shred on the box grater. I also don't have a working broiler, as noted above. I like the idea of flavoring the sour cream (I already have it) with hot sauce, though. Thanks.

I heat up in a skillet with a bit of beer, some cumin, chile(s), garlic, and onion powders for pulled beef. I would recommend something similar for pulled pork. Let the salsa bring the tomato (and other veggie and chile flavors) to the party.

It needs the bit of moisture for quick and even heating through to 165° before loading onto the nachos with the other tasty goodies, IMO.

Kathryn

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Cumin, chilies, onion and garlic powders sounds a lot like deconstructed American Chili Powder, which I have a fairly fresh batch of. Thanks.
        Last edited by Dewesq55; February 2, 2020, 11:20 AM.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        If you can, saute' in a Tbsp or so of lard.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Love this suggestion, that is what I'd do.

Good call on the American Chili Powder, which I was going to recommend. I'm doing ground beef Nachos today, but with pulled pork street tacos as the other afternoon menu item. Prime Rib 'ribs' al la cart tonight.

Comment

Hit your creama/sour cream with a blended (vita mix/stick blender) fresh lime juice/seeded jalapeño and cilantro seasoned (SnP) mix.

Prior to mixing add the lime zest to you cream

When you use Rotel you kinda pigeon hole yourself as that’s bold. Rotel can dominate

if you back it out you can create your own.

salty Cotija will help. Ditch the pepper jack as that’s another Bold flavor that can dominate.

i want the flavors coming from me and not the packages.

This is just me though IMHO

Last edited by HouseHomey; February 2, 2020, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Cumin, chiles, garlic...the usual suspects.
          I often do mine on Weber grill pans...specifically the 6435 & 6678. Smoked nachos take it all to another level.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	E317DE4E-CAB4-42B0-82C7-FA871517DDF4.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	798850Click image for larger version

Name:	27D8ECDB-2F15-423C-80D2-D2599BB845B6.png
Views:	230
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	798851

Comment

I’m doing the same thing. I smoked the meat yesterday. I diced a red onion, two jalapeños, three cloves of garlic. I put a cup of orange juice in a crock pot, put the veggies in and laid the pork chunks on top. I sprinkled some oregano and cumin on the mix. It is on low right now. I will fry in butter just before serving with the nachos.

Comment

So they came out great. Thanks for all of the suggestions. There's s pic in SUWYC.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here