Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tamales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tamales

Had a bunch of pulled pork in the freezer, and some chili sauce I had made. So, tamales. First time, could do better, but not bad. I had heard that they were so much work to make, but since I had the sauce and meat already it wasn't that bad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191109_195316.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	767003

Add some bacon grease to the masa for a smokey hint. Look great for first try!

Comment

Oh yeah! I just had plain old bacon and eggs for breakfast. If I had those tamales I would have put a couple of eggs on the top and I would have had a spectacular breakfast.

Comment

There was a Guatemalan lady living in town for awhile who made tamales that almost floated off the plate and into your mouth. They were so light yet moist and so beautifully made. I would have loved to learn how she made them.

Comment

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          In that part of Central America the masa tends to be cooked and the steaming is done with banana leaves. This makes the tamale lighter.

"I had heard that they were so much work to make, but since I had the sauce and meat already it wasn't that bad."
        Just wait until people learn that you make them...and you find yourself tasked with making "eleventeen" dozen. Mwahahahaha

Then the only sensible thing to do is have a tamale party...and set up an assembly line. Good fun.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          I worked those lines as a kid for friends' families at Christmas. Lots of fun. My friend's dad once asked
          "You know why our tradition is to give tamales for Christmas?" I had answers, none of which were correct. "Because," he said "the family gives tamales and receives everyone else's tamales. We compare and tell mom hers are the best. It happens in every family and every mom's tamales are the best. What more do you want at Christmas than to know your family thinks you are the best?"

Yes Please!

Comment

Sir, you have already done better with your first batch than I ever did. They look really, really good!

I tried to make some several years ago, and it was a disaster. I haven't had the guts to try it again. I'm fortunate enough to have good tamale makers in my vicinity, and I'm more than happy to pay.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here