Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Korean Shortrib Street Tacos Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korean Shortrib Street Tacos Recipe

I really like this recipe but it is different from what I normally cook. Its good to step outside the box once in awhile.

I made this today and shared it at work and at my local brewery. Everyone was amazed by it and came back for seconds (and thirds). This is a recipe inspired by Sam The Cooking Guy. He posted a video of his taco shop a few months back ( https://youtu.be/NmUOaaOpGFo ) that featured this taco -he didn't give away his meat seasonings or Gochujang sauce recipe but I made my own interpretation based on his other videos. For the beef I used his Korean Bulgogi recipe ( https://youtu.be/83UmozQkZeE ) but changed it as follows: I left out the onion, increased the ginger, used toasted sesame oil, added a little fish sauce, and added Mirin.

Recipe:

1 lb boneless beef short rib meat, thin sliced
    1 1/2 T grated ginger (I used the store bought minced ginger)
    1 T brown sugar
    3 T soy sauce (I used Pearl River Bridge Light Soy Sauce)
    1 T toasted sesame oil
    1-2 cloves garlic - pressed
    1/3 pear, grated - I used the fine grate side of my grater, basically made pear mush
    1 T Gochujang - the Gochujang paste from HEB (my local grocery) was not as thick as that seen in several youtube videos so I doubled the amount.
    1 1/2 T Mirin (Sweet Rice Wine for Cooking)
    1 t Red Boat fish sauce

Combine beef and all ingredients, place in a ziplock, remove air, and marinate in fridge overnight. Cook on a flat top or cast iron skillet - about 30 seconds per side

Gochujong sauce: Sam didn't give away his recipe but knowing Sam I figured that, since he already put some sour cream on the taco, he probably made the sauce with Kewpie mayo (his fave) and garlic - at the least. I don't have Kewpie mayo so I used Duke's. I found several Gochujang Aioli recipes but all called for sour cream. I found another recipe that used mayo and decided that Sam probably used a similar recipe, so here is my humble offering:

2 T Gochujang
    8 T Duke's or Kewpie Mayo
    1-2 cloves garlic - pressed

Since the Gochujang from HEB was less concentrated than the Gochujang I saw on Sam's video (and ordered from Amazon but haven't received yet - link under his video) I basically changed the recipe to 1/2 Gochujang and 1/2 Duke's Mayo, plus the garlic. Combine all and refrigerate overnight.

Other ingredients:

Sour cream
    Flour tortillas (I used the uncooked flour tortillas from HEB and cooked them on my cast iron griddle)
    Grated Jicama - I used the coarse side of the grater
    Sliced green onions
    Buttered toasted Panko: 1 cup Panko and 2 T butter. Melt butter in skillet, add Panko, and cook until Panko begins to brown - as soon as the Panko changes color turn off heat and remove from skillet or you will burn it.

Assembly:

On a 5 1/2" flour tortilla:

Lay a line of sour cream
    Lay a line of Gochujang sauce
    - squeeze bottles make this step easy

add a layer of jicama
    add some green onion
    add a layer of meat
    add the Panko
    add some more green onion

Serve and enjoy, pic from the brewery - Neches Brewing Co. of Port Neches, Texas.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2870.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1,008.0 KB ID:	733277
    Last edited by 58limited; August 22, 2019, 10:04 AM.

Beautiful. I love street tacos. Gonna have to ear mark this post for dinner next week.

Comment

I do these often. They're fantastic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190520_203422.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	733444

Comment

These are fantastic!! Both you guys have got me thinking Asian/Latin fusion big time !!! I'm heading down that trail. Thanks for the great posting !!!

Comment

Sounds amazing! I bet those tacos are loaded with flavor!

Comment

Just need some radish Kim chi to top it off! Looks great!

Comment

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              The website has a kimchi specific section here:https://www.makesauerkraut.com/kimchi-series/

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks 58limited

I’ve only made a few types from Maang Chi, www.maangchi.com

So I’ll have to check out the links you sent and give it a try. If you ever want to make the radish Kim chi, the recipe on maangchi’s site is really good!

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, great link.

Had to come back to this post because it hasn’t left my mind since the first read. Just put all the ingredients on my shopping list. Fingers crossed that I can find them. Finding Gochujang around here may be a challenge.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I find gochujang in all the stores around here including major and minor supermarkets.

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the link and the advice.
              Attjack You probably can but our local population probably wouldn’t fill a minor league baseball stadium.🙂

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m with ya’ll as well, these are a must. I’m blessed to live in a city with a diverse culinary population. Asian ingredients abound.

58limited Thank you for posting! We love watching Sam and have tried several recipes which turned out pretty good. He inspired my wife to finally try some home Asian recipes. This will definitely go on a short list for short rib recipes.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              You won't regret it.

Huskee Does this fit in with the new Asian Cuisine channel? I know its a Latin/Asian fusion recipe so it might be best here.
            Last edited by 58limited; October 15, 2020, 02:38 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Ehh, I say taco means Taco channel.

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee

Man! This is the bomb.com right here!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here