Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strong corn tortilla flavor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strong corn tortilla flavor

I had to go gluten free so no more flour tortillas. I always struggle with the super strong taste with corn tortillas. Most restaurants that flavor isn't as strong. I have heated them up but the flavor stayed.. Any ideas would be great.

Have you tried making them yourself with a tortilla press and nixtamalized corn meal? I find it’s not as strong. And the tortillas are SO much better than store bought.

Here’s an easy recipe I’ve used before. It has masa harina though, not sure if that has gluten. Other recipes I’ve used don’t have that though.

Comment

My masa harina is gluten free. I recently purchased a tortilla press and made some... I thought they tasted good, though I need more practice pressing them without sticking... maybe I just had a little too

much water in my mix.Click image for larger version

Name:	tortimasa.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	679230

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. I'm assuming you've got your press lined with plastic, so if they're sticking it's likely your masa is too wet. Could be you need to work the masa more too, or let it rest a bit. It needs to hydrate properly. Kinda like making fresh pasta, but different.
        Last edited by mnavarre; May 14, 2019, 10:12 PM.

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        I did line the press with plastic. Thanks for the suggestions; I'll try them!

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Corn has no gluten.

You could try white corn tortillas (Ex. El Millagro Blancas). I prefer them over the regular corn. We typically have all 3 types in the house. Or if you can find fresh masa (Refrigerated section) in a Mexican grocery store and make your own you will probably like them better.

Comment

Yes, try the white corn tortillas. My wife and I are also GF, me by choice a few years after she figured out she was intolerant.

But, we buy some from Costco that have to be baked/grilled/fried, I think they are semi raw and are in the freezer or cooler areas, and they are some of the best corn tortillas I’ve ever had. Hopefully they still have them, I don’t remember the last time we picked those up. But they are good!

Comment

Get yourself a comal or even use a CI skillet, fry them in a little bit of oil before eating them. That seems to temper the flavor a bit and firms up the tortilla.

Sorry but no one takes my flour tortillas away, just the way I am. But then again I'm not gluten intolerant either.

Comment

Thank you for all the information. This was helpful. When you make them ever put in cilantro or anything like that in it.

Comment

When heating them up, the flavor can get even more powerful, so I suggest you to keep them warm instead. Actually there are special devices for this, a tortilla warmer, I met the same problem with heating up the tortillas, the flavor after that was disgusting to me, so I began to look up online what i could do about it, and endeas two sides tortilla warmer was a match, a cool design and a real warm-keeper for my tortilla, since buying it, I am always having my lunch at work with a warm tortilla in a cool cover. Heating up is an option for a hot tortilla, but the tortilla warmer is the best option for having a tasty lunch, and not only
              Last edited by MaxForsyth; December 2, 2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here