Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you make a Quesadilla?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you make a Quesadilla?

Last edited by Kevin_nj; February 24, 2020, 07:52 PM.

I do mostly #1, but sometimes #3. I've found though that 3 is easier (for me) on paninis than on quesadillas. I heat the ingredients separately, then add to the tortilla in the skillet, then flip. I do not add any ingredients that should be cold, like diced tomatoes, salsa, or sour cream- I dip or scoop that stuff once on the plate.

EDIT: I fold in half like JoeSousa though. Like he says it's easier to flip, plus the folded edge seems to help it hold together a little better whether you slice or eat as one big piece.

Comment

I usually don't do much beyond cheese and sometimes some meat. But I always fold the tortilla. Put the toppings on half, fold the tortilla, and put it in the pan. Seems to be easier to flip it without losing some of the fillings.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, fold in half. I missed that detail in my post.

I take a paper plate, put 1 tortilla on, place cheese and usually hot sauce (if adding meat, I heat that up first; If a vegetable I caramelize and add), then I fold it and chuck the next tortilla on top of that and repeat. After both are filled I plop them both into an oversized pan I have with butter (if no butter I use cooking spray and hit the pan and the top of the tortilla). I flip when the cheese starts to melt or at the first smell of burning lol. I like grilled quesadillas best, but not usually worth firing the grill up for so 90% of the time it's the pan method for quick and easy. I serve with a dollop of sour cream and sometimes I'll mash up some avocado.

Comment

Ya forgot to mention microwaving. I normally fold a single tortilla, so I put a layer of cheese, some pickled jalapenos on it, and whatever else I can find in the refrigerator. Normally I fry in a pan with a little butter and flip when the first side starts to brown. But the microwave works for emergencys.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't mind nuking them in a pinch, but just something about getting a good browning on the tortillas... I've had minor success brushing the top side with cooking oil but can't do the bottom because it kinda just stays greasy and doesn't brown up.

tortilla
        cheese
        filler
        cheese
        tortilla

assemble first on cutting board. slide off cutting board into a heated and buttered pan and cover until cheese melts. lift up the edge of the quesadilla to make sure the bottom is golden enough. take the pan and tilt and slide the quesadilla out onto the first cutting board. take a second cutting board and put it over the top and with the 2 cutting boards pressed together flip it over onto the new cutting board (cheese has to be melted or else you lose filling). slide the quesadilla back on to the pan to brown the other side.

Comment

Hahaha, this made me think of the ad for Amazon Alexa where they used celebrity voice-overs. in a segment a young man asks Alexa how to made a grilled cheese sandwich. The guest voice was Gordon Ramsey and his response was something like "Are you effing kidding me, the instructions are literally in the effing title!" Not poking fun at the question because I picked up a couple of quesadilla tips as well, just the subject line made smile a little.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            well, what we think of a a quesadilla is not an actual qyesadilla if you really get down to it. and to HONESTLY answer how I do it, I usually drive down to El Lugar, and order the Super Quesadillas #6...

I assemble the quesadilla in a plate. You have to have some kind of binder to helpglue it together. Then I drop it into a black iron skillet with enough hit salted butter in it to cover the bottom. Toast with a bit if pressure, remove add more butter flip. for your quesadillas, try chopping the brisket up, and mixing in some Jack cheese, a little cream cheese, a bit of your favorite home made (or store bought)hot salsa. Serve with median crema, and spicy guac. For the pulled pork, I would mix with cheddar, some brown mustard, sriracha, mayo, jalapenos, and some salted onions. The key is lots of butter or butter flavored oil. It us almost shallow frying.
          Last edited by texastweeter; March 23, 2019, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here