Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taco Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taco Tuesday

It's Taco Tuesday at Casa Del Calhoun. Mr. Bones inspired me with his world class taco write-up the other night, and I reconed I should throw my hat in the ring. Will be writin' this one up shortly. Right now, I have 6 mouths to feed. Aspirin' to get to Bonesy's literary level, but I ain't no Shakespeare, so go gentle like.

Lol! I'm sure ya'll do jus fine!

Lookin forward to yer Great Food, an many thanks fer alla yer kind words, Brother!

Comment

Let's start with the fillin', lube up a black iron skillet with about 2Tbs of skillet drippings. Mine here is a mixture of bacon grease and beef tallow. Heat on medium until it shimmers, then throw in one Noonday onion diced at about medium, and 4 cloves of garlic minced.
      Meanwhile, on an eye across the range, heat up a pot of refried black beans. Typically I use homemade, but seeing how Mrs. Calhoun just got home from a week vacation in NYC (gasp!), I cheated and used a can of Goya. Looking to spend as much time next to her today as possible, even took the day off from the office. Anywho, heat them beans up until warm, and add 1/3 a cup of sour cream, and a healthy dose (about a Tbs)of hotsauce. Stir both until beans are warmed through, and onions are translucent.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Lookin like my kinda meal!

Now, back to that black iron. Add about a pound of ground beef. I usually use ground chuck, but at the missus request, tonight I used ground sirloin. She said she is watchin' her figure (trust me, I'm watching her figure too! ). Brown that off good like, while the beans are heating through.
      Once the beef and rabbits food are getting along well, dump in a health dose of my Texas Taco Dust. Once my secret concoction has been stirred into the meat and has coated it all well, add about a cup of dihydrogen oxide, and bring to a simmer.
      While the main chorus is coming to a simmer, dice up one alligator pear, toss with lime juice, sprinkle with kosher salt and set aside.
      Once the moo meat and juices have reduced down thick like, remove from heat to cool slightly and thicken. Also remove those beans.
      Attached Files

Comment

Again, due to missing my better half so bad, I went with some locally sourced tortillas as opposed to makin' my own like I normally do; they will do in a pinch. Take a fajita sized flour tortilla and spread a healthy handful of churched up refried beans all over one side. Then, wrap that bad boy around a crunchy yellow corn taco shell. I have made them from scratch before, but trust me, it's a PITA. I usually use cheap off brand store bought ones as they tend to be thicker than the authentic ones, and stand up to the gentle hands of a 3 year old boy better.
      Time to deliver the payload. Load that sucker up about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way with the beef. Don't scrimp. Next comes a layer of doctored and chopped alligator pear. Right about now, an extra stripe of hot sauce comes in handy as capsasium insurance; I like both my women (correction WOMAN) and my food HOT! To finish her off (the taco, not my wife) crumble some queso fresco on top.
      Attached Files

Comment

Sounds / looks like a seriously delicious Taco Tuesday!

(Purty much had me at Taco Tuesday, but truly, ya set yer hook, what with th bacon grease, tallow, an such! )

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          thank you sir, coming from you, that's high praise.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm delighted, an honoured that ya took us all along, an especially warmed by pics of yer youngun's Taco Feed!

Moments like these are well beyond any price known to mere Man...

My youngest boy likes em, all over it like a duck on a junebug. Hopefully him and his siblings will go to bed early tonight with full bellies, as me and their Ma need some quality time.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet Dreams, yall!

I like your double tortilla trick, will have to give that a try !! Tacos are always gobbled up quickly in my house, good call !!!

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Increases the structural rigidity (don't fall apart), and you can use all kinds of stuff as the glue. Refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, queso dip, all work well. Troutman klflowers

A Bones worthy write up. I too like the tortilla addition, got to try it out. Maybe taco thursday since I am off.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          thank you so much brother. Just trying to spread the love.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here