Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork Taco Rub???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork Taco Rub???

We are hosting a party this weekend and we are doing tacos. I have already started prepping the ground beef for them. I myself wanted a smoked item on the menu. I have picked a pork butt and will be adding that to the menu. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a rub that would be complimentary for tacos. Open for ideas, as I have been searching on here and I haven't noticed an recipes for a rub. I will be doing this on a PBC late tomorrow night. Thanks for the help

If you want homemade, google "taco seasoning recipe" and you will get lots of hits. If you don't find a rub recipe you like, you might consider commercial taco seasoning. Old El Paso and Ortega are available locally, but whatever you like locally should work.

Now I want to smoke a chuckie with taco seasoning.

EDIT to add: If using a commercial rub, check the salt content, commercial rubs may have a lot of salt.
    Last edited by RonB; April 13, 2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• Horsh
      Horsh commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking the same thing about using a taco seasoning off the shelf. I know when I do beef it gets to be a little salty.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      A butt is normally a pretty chunky piece of meat, and I suspect that it is thicker than the beef you have done - you may be OK unless you are being polite by saying a "little " salty.

I gots lotsa ideas. Leastwise, how I'd do it...
    Please refresh my memory, since yer signature isn't filled out...
    What kinda cooker ya' gonna use? Makes a difference...
    Given th' lack of pertinent info, goin' in blind, I'd select:
    50/50 Salt/Pepper,25~ish% garlic,15-20% cumin, then layer heat, as desired: cayenne, red pepper, chipotle, jalapeno, and beyond...~HOT!!!
    Talk to us...
    We'll git ya dialed in right, an' Locally Famous!!!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 13, 2017, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• Horsh
      Horsh commented
      Editing a comment
      I will be using a PBC to cook this. (I thought I profile was filled out, I will need to check into that)

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the ticket, right there - starting with cumin!

Horsh, You probably did fill out your profile, however the information on cookers and such is usually found in your "signature". Hover your cursor over the little "pen tip" emblem right next to the green or gray dot that shows if a member is online, and you'll see a bunch of info pop up, if it is filled out. I think it'll be in your setting somewhere. Not a real obvious thing to find. I always have to "look around for it" when I want to change something.

Go to 'setting', then click on the 'account' tab, click the 'show signature', and then 'edit signature'. Most of us include information on cookers, controllers, thermometers, and such. Some include favorite whisky, info on pets, or whatever. The cooker info in your signature allows quick access to the info, for help.
    Last edited by TheCountofQ; April 13, 2017, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fer th' assist TheCountofQ ! Brother!
      My terminology was incorrect, which I will correct above... >>(done)<<
      Love This Place!!!
      As Th' Count said, my experience agrees; it's a bit 'Fussy' to find where to create/modify this...

• Horsh
      Horsh commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the help. I figured it out!

Horsh I use the following rub on pork butt to create a Carnitas like flavor. My fam loves it, and it makes for great pork tacos. This amount is about right for one good sized pork butt. Give it a shot.

2 tbsp garlic powder
    2 tbsp chili powder
    1 tbsp onion powder
    1 tbsp white table sugar
    1 tbsp ground cumin
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ground coriander
    2 tsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp ground oregano
    ½ tsp cayenne pepper

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      This receipt ROCKS!!! --->>>^^^^^<<<---
      I got it from askin' Eric, which he has so graciously provided again!!!
      Thanks again all over, ecowper
      Sláinte, to all!!!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Prost brother!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ¡Vielen Dank! ¡Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit!

I buy it off the shelf. I put it on as a Rub and smoke the pork butt. Then I pull the pork and add more of the Rub that I've mixed with a little wine and toss the pulled pork in it.
    Attached Files

Comment

This is what I make for Tacos since I love the Chi Chis mix. I don't put it on to smoke I just add it to the pulled pork after.
      Homemade {Green} Taco Seasoning

yield: ABOUT 3 TABLESPOONS SEASONING, GOOD FOR 1 POUND OF GROUND OR SHREDDED MEAT ingredients:

• 1 T. green bell pepper flakes
      • 2 tsp. minced white onion
      • 2 tsp. garlic powder
      • 1 tsp. onion powder
      • 1 tsp. dried cilantro
      • 1 tsp. cumin
      • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
      • 1/2 tsp. Mexican oregano
      • 1/4 tsp. dried crushed jalapeño
      • 1/8 tsp. black pepper
      • large pinch cayenne pepper
      • large pinch crushed red pepper flakes
      directions:

Note: All of the listed ingredients can be found at your local Penzeys Spices store or at www.penzeys.com

Stir together all ingredients. If desired, use a spice grinder to incorporate more evenly and achieve a uniform size for all ingredients. If you want to make a larger quantity of seasoning, to keep on hand for future use, I would recommend grinding the mixture. Otherwise, the smaller granules settle to the bottom, while the larger flakes sit on top. If you don't grind a large quantity of this mixture, just be sure to stir it very well before using it.

A single recipe of this mix works great for 1 pound of ground or shredded turkey, beef, pork, or chicken. Once the meat has been browned in a skillet, simply add this seasoning mixture along with 1/3 cup of water. Stir well and turn heat to medium low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed. Taste and add additional salt, if desired.

Meat seasoned with this mixture is awesome in tacos, nachos, quesadillas, breakfast burritos, and so much more!

Inspired by my favorite Mexican seasoning mix, Chi-Chi's Restaurante Seasoning.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here