Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Tri Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Tri Tip

I am thinking about doing a tri tip sous vide. I was wondering how long should I cook? Should I cool before searing?

I do mine for about 8 hours (usually from frozen). No need to cool first unless you are not eating right away or you have a very weak searing setup.

Comment

I use a Joule and cook it at 129 for 90-120 minutes for non-frozen. Quick sear on cast iron or over charcoal and it is fantastic. Be sure to cut across the grain.

I do not cool unless I am eating it later.

Comment

Much appreciated.

Comment

To quote Potkettleblack, time is tenderness - at least I think that’s what he always says. So, really the question is how tender do you want it? A few hours gives you about the same tenderness you could get from smoking, so you can go off of that. I usually stick with about 2 hours for a tri-tip then a sear. and I don’t cool, I just go straight from SV, season and sear and serve.

Enjoy!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Time is tenderness, temp is doneness. That's the full saying.

My buddy, who I consider to be the SV king, says 7 hrs and he goes directly to the grill. He has shocked but said it adds nothing to the cook. His kids agree with him.

Comment

I do 6 hrs at 131. Then sear. My wife prefers a more medium cooked beef so I sear to about 140 it. The two us cannot eat it all so the leftovers get chilled then shaved on the slicer for roast beef sammies or to the griddle for cheesesteak sammies.

Comment

I usually SV at 134 for 10-12 hours then paint with avocado oil and sear. I haven't chilled. My Family prefers more medium than rare. A simple board sauce will push the cook over the top. I do believe that a 12-24 hour Dry Brine does make a noticeable difference IMO.
              Last edited by Skip; December 19, 2020, 06:56 AM.

Comment

It truly depends upon the quality of the meat. Lesser time with better meat. Get a piece from ALDI, and 10 hours was not nearly enough. I would not hesitate to do 15 just to get some tenderness, it was a beast of a piece of meat.

Comment

There are two schools of thought on what the desired end result is. One school is that tri-tip should have some chew and some want it as tender as ribeye or filet. Some folks think of it as a steak, others as a roast, I think that's where the difference in opinion comes from.

If you want that ribeye/filet tenderness, you go long, like 12-24 hours. Temp at whatever you want, 129-135.
                  If you think tritip should have some texture to it, then you go for minimum for cooking through at the temp you want, per the Baldwin chart and the thickness at the center of the thing. If it's sitting on the counter, you want the height at the vertex of the thing. Or somewhere close to that, if one end of the thing is a bit thicker.

I don't do a lot of tri tip as they don't really cut a lot of sirloin for tri tip here in Chicago. I like it more chewy, so maybe like 3 hours @131, shock, sear on the flat grill grates.

As always, the pinch test is your friend. How it pinches will be roughly how it chews.

Comment

PKB is spot on, it's time for tenderness. I remember when I first got into sous vide about 3 years ago I got the bright idea that inside skirt steak, as tough as it can be, would come out tender as a baby's bottom if I just left it in there for like 12 hours. What I ended up with was ground up mess that I literally poured the out of the bag and into the garbage, it had totally disintegrated.

On big cuts like tri-tip, I tend to keep it well under 3-4 hours and that's all the tender I want. Sweet spot on tougher cuts like chuck, 18-22 hours depending on the size. I guess you really need to experiment and see what works best for you and the degree of doneness you prefer.

As to resting, or even shocking before the sear, forget it. Unless you are cooking it the next day all you are doing is letting the meat settle down by resting or shocking only to have to ramp it back up again. Some say it helps keep the meat from over shooting but I've found that it ends up giving me more of that tell tale grey banding instead. But again, each to his own.

Here's a SVQ tri-tip I recently did as described. Came out good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tri tip 02.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	960755

Comment

• BFlynn
                      BFlynn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I keep clicking the picture to place my order, but nothing happens!

How do I get this tasty tri tip to my mouf....

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      BFlynn go to Costco, buy a tri-tip, stick it in a water bath at 131 for 4 hours, sear it on your big green whatever, carve, tell the family its time to eat, then stuff your mouth. Oh yea make a board sauce to go along with it

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wow.

So, put the dreadful quality Aldi tri tip in for 20+ hours at 131 degrees. Really made it better than 10 hours. At 10, it was seriously tough. 20 made it edible, not as good as better quality tri tips, but, workable. Will be good in sandwiches day 2.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here