Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

big Sous Vide help question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

big Sous Vide help question.

Going on a hunt in SD. Plans are for significant social distancing and subsequently, no restaurants. Have folding tables, covered canopies, and portable heaters. Doing Barbacoa tacos one night, elk roast another, chicken wings and pheasant taquitos a third night. The first night is "steak night." I'm planning on doing a Sous Vide and finishing with searing on a couple of portable grills and a portable Blackstone.

My question for the folks here is do I dry brine or pre-season the steaks immediately prior to vacuum sealing. Or, do I seal then cook followed by seasoning prior to searing. Current plan is to seal on Wednesday/Thurday then travel and cook on Friday. Plan is Sous Vide at 132 degrees x 2-3 hours then sear. Will have fried potatoes and carmelized peppers and onions with salad for sides that night. Looking forward to hearing ideas and suggestions.

Appreciate the help in advance.

Sweaty Paul

Dry brine and pre-season before. It's a great question.

Comment

Either way brining before or after. I usually do after patting dry. See below!

SV at 132 then searing could overcook steak unless you cold chill/shock before searing.

make sure you pat the steaks DRY before searing. Adding some oil helps searing too!!
      Last edited by scottranda; October 13, 2020, 04:45 AM.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        Can easily do a bucket of icewater to to shock after the cook immediately prior to cooking. Will most assuredly bat dry prior to searing.

Being from where I am from...I first saw SD and immediately thought San Diego. Then saw portable heaters and thought...well, ok, it’s gonna be in the low 60s and some people don’t like the cold...
      And then there was mention of elk & pheasant...and I thought "Where the #&[[ is he getting elk in San Diego?!" LOL

I had to go back and start over. Doh!

So with that...I’m with tbob4 and would probably brine them first. Depending on the seasoning, I would mostly do that before bagging as well.

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        "Where the #&[[ is he getting elk in San Diego?!"

Tip-Top Meats off of Carlsbad Village Drive.

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, and probably Iowa Meat Farms/Siesel's.

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        mnavarre Both good possibilities...though I’m not likely to run out and look for elk.
        Though I wouldn’t mind trying it I suppose.

FWIW, you may want to read this article from Kosher Dosher's blog. His experiments with sous vide are always interesting.

https://kosherdosher3.blogspot.com/2...xperiment.html

His bottom line recommendation is to dry brine for 6 hours, and if the dry brine is for more than 6 hours, decrease the amount of salt used by half to two-thirds because the salt penetrates so well that less is required. He recommends dry brining more for flavor than for moisture retention. This is what he says about that:

Dry-brining can reduce moisture loss but only under certain conditions.... time and temp variables need to be considered. As you increase the time in water bath more moisture will be lost. In addition if you increase the temp of the SV more moisture will be drawn out. In my opinion dry brining gives a flavor boost and increases the flavor of beef.

Kathryn

Comment

Always dry brine first and then vacuum seal after adding pepper.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here