Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snake River Farms American Wagyu boneless ribeye sous vide reverse sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake River Farms American Wagyu boneless ribeye sous vide reverse sear

Tonight’s dinner was something I’ve never done before..... a Snake River Farms American Wagyu beef ribeye steak! My wife bought me one for my birthday last month, and I vacuumed sealed it and put it in the freezer to cook when I had time to do it up right. Tonight was the night, and I decided the best approach was to thaw the steak, sous vide it for two hours at 129 degrees, and do a reverse sear on a hot Lodge cast iron griddle on its flat side on my Big Green Egg for 30 seconds on each side.

This was a great quality cut of beef, definitely had the beefier taste and tenderness that wagyu steaks are known for as their reputation, and worth the price. However, that price means it will be a rare cook, and especially only for special occasions!

As I often do on my cook posts, here are some pictures of the cook and results.
    Attached Files

Fantastic!

Comment

That is a beauteous piece of meat

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Yup, that is the only way to do steaks---sv and then reverse sear!! Good job.

Comment

Great looking steak. Question...I’m still a little hazy on the whole wagyu thing. From what I understand it’s a Japanese breed of cattle but then I see American wagyu. Does that mean it’s American cattle but raised differently?

Comment

Oh man. I have a couple of these in the freezer. I do them the same way. So good. Time to dream up a special occasion and pull them out for a dip in the pool! Thanks for the inspiration pitmaster.

Comment

Yum. Looks delicious. Great job.

Comment

In the end, looks good enough to eat.

Comment

edge to edge!

Comment

That's a great looking piece of protein. May I ask why you seared in a pan opposed to over live fire since you had it going? Just curious.

Comment

• DJ DeSpain
                        DJ DeSpain commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I had the egg going to smoke a bourbon salmon filet for,my wife’s dinner, so after it was done I removed the plate setter and set a small grate on the fire ring. I had the juices saved from the sous vide cook to use as fat on the pan, and when the pan was hot enough, I seared the steak on it to retain as much as of the fat flavor on the steak rather than losing it from the open flames.
                        Last edited by DJ DeSpain; September 29, 2020, 04:44 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here