Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reheating Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reheating Brisket

I smoked a whole packer brisket a couple of days ago; something came up so we could not eat it that day. I had it warpped in foil, inside a cooler, so I just left it wrapped in the foil & vacuum sealed it inside a Food Saver bag. Can I reheat it sous vide as is, or will it being wrapped in foil cause some sort of scientific reaction that I don't know about? Also, any recommendations on how long it will take to come up to temperature to eat (145-160 degrees).

Others here have the chemistry knowledge to answer the foil battery question, it probably depends how acidic your spritzes and sauces are. I would say that if you smoked it to 203, I'd set the sous vide to 160 or higher. You won't lose much more moisture and it will reheat much more quickly. If the point is still attached to the flat, it could take 2 hours to get hot in the middle.

Comment

Thanks Chuck

Comment

Never seen anything sous vided with aluminum foil in the bag before. But I have put some table spoons in a bag to hold weight some corn down... I dunno about foil, though. It's not like it's stainless steel. I wouldn't.

Comment

Ok-thanks

Comment

I wouldn't either, although I don't have a specific scientific reason why not.

Comment

Let us know how you like that sous vide-reheated brisket. I ruined a perfectly beautiful leftover tri-tip a few weeks back attempting to reheat it in the sous vide. It had that awful "leftover meat" flavor that is associated with oxidation of the fat in the meat.

I had not chilled and sealed the leftover tri-tip in a sous vide bag. Next time I will take those extra steps, or eat it cold, which is often fine by me as well. When I put the sliced roast in the fridge after dinner I didn't plan on using sous vide to reheat, something I rarely do. But since the slices were thinnish and would come up to temp pretty quickly, I decided to give it a go the next day at dinnertime. Bad idea.

According to a Modernist Cuisine article on reheating Thanksgiving meats:
              Warmed-over Flavors
              Turkey and ham come with an additional challenge: the slightly stale, somewhat-rancid aroma that develops after being reheated. It’s an aroma that can put a considerable damper on daydreams of savoring a delicious turkey sandwich.
              The underlying cause of rancidity is the oxidation of unsaturated fats found in muscle-cell membranes. When first cooked, these unsaturated fats remain reasonably stable. Once the meat cools, however, the cell membranes readily break down, exposing fat molecules to oxidation. The greater quantity of unsaturated fats, the more likely warmed-over flavors will arise after reheating cooked meat, which is why such aromas are commonly found in seafood, poultry, and pork.
              Iron, abundant in meat and myoglobin filaments in muscle, catalyzes these oxidation reactions after food has been heated, cooled, and then reheated. Brines with curing salts can be used as preventative measures against the reaction, but salt alone can do more harm than good. The best way to buy more time for your leftover turkey is to keep it tightly packaged in a sous vide bag after cooking. The air-free environment therein will help slow the process of oxidation.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here