Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make carrots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make carrots

I cooking ribs for my son's birthday. His daughters love cooked carrots. I've read comments that sous vide is a great way to cook the carrots. I'm clueless. I'd sure appreciate a granddaddy friendly recipe for cooked carrots.

Here's one. I have done it per the recipe, but lately I just SV them and then glaze them in just some butter and black pepper. They are excellent.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...0to%201%20week.

Comment

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Seconded. Make this every thanksgiving and always a hit. Even better is you can sous vide in advance and then all it takes is a few minutes to glaze in the pan.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on this recipe RevJim

From my Joule app:

Peel, season and bag whole carrots.

For crisp tender carrots: 176° for 2 hours.

For even more tender carrots: 186° for 2 hours.

Kathryn

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	uf6vujf.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	914434

I like this recipe.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        klflowers let me know how you end up liking it.

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        I usually need a workable substitute for miso paste.. darnit..

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        JGo37 There really isn't a substitute for miso. The upside is that it lasts a very long time. And you can get some very good miso on Amazon (Hikari brand). Yellow miso is a good type for all around use.

If you have time, sous vide and then sauced up with the liquid in a pan right before serving is outstanding! Anova has a few recipes that work well for this.

Have fun making the birthday dinner!

Comment

Thank you so much. I hope to make a couple of little girls happy!

Comment

I like to steam them until par done then throw them into a skillet and finish with some butter and brown sugar....my kids love these.

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            this has been a family favorite for 45 years.

An here I wuz gonna tell ya ta git some seeds and........ Guess yer Lil guests’ll be there before ya can raise em.

Comment

Not going to discuss specific methods, there are lots of good ideas here. However I recently started not peeling the carrots but just scrubbing them and cooking them in their jackets. Unless there is a reason to peel them for appearance reasons, I like them better unpeeled. I love the texture and flavor of the unpeeled carrots.

Comment

I find that with sous vide you get the flavour of a raw carrot with the texture of the cooked product. Best of both worlds. Good idea to use a rack or put weight in the bag, carrots release air during the cook and you have to work to keep them submerged

Comment

I told the girls I was going to make carrots for them. One of them said that they just stick a carrot in the microwave. I hope they will like these better.

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup, you might open a whole new world to them, cookin! 👍

• JGo37
                  JGo37 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It'd also be cool to find some purple ones to mix in..

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here