Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screwed up an entire brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screwed up an entire brisket

I decided to try to sous vide cook a brisket - turned out to be the second-worst brisket I’ve ever made. I was trying the Serious Eats method of smoking after the sous vide. I’ve only had good luck with smoking first, not smoking after.

I used a small amount of Cure #1 like they recommended to give a fake smoke ring. Well, I’m not sure if I misread or mismeasured. I knew something was wrong when I took the bag out and all of the juice was bright pink. I somehow ended up with essentially corned beef. The flat was solid pink, the point had at least an inch thick pink ring. Some people may have liked this, but I don’t like corned beef or pastrami. I’ve been using bits of it in chili etc now. I’m too cheap to toss it. I should have taken a pic.

How much curing salt did you use?? This is important.... be exact

Comment

It’s good yer cheap, cuz ya probably have some good chili & whatnot. Chalk it up as experience. Also thanks fer rimindin me on why I don’t soo veed. 🕶

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Come on man, boil yer meat!

• Killa J
        Killa J commented
        Editing a comment
        The best thing I’ve done with it so far is make tacos. Sliced it into strips, seared it with some onions, and seasoned it with adobo. But it didn’t taste good enough to slice up and eat like regular brisket.

I’m fairly sure I used 1 tablespoon for a ~14lb brisket. It was about a week ago

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        ok, no problem with that amount. If you used a cup full it would be unedible (toxic)... Count this as a good learning event.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here