Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen Spare Ribs - Reheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen Spare Ribs - Reheating

I'm reheating some spare ribs that have been smoked and frozen. They are in the fridge now. I plan on putting them in the sous vide to thaw and heat them for dinner. Is it possible to over cook the ribs in the sous vide bath? How long should I have them in the bath before dinner? What temp do you reheat them at?
    Thanks.

Totally following! I was going to post a similar question regarding wagyu brisket.

Comment

No reason to heat them higher than 145°. I sometimes only do 135°, but 145 is probably safer. If there is only one layer in the bag, 2 hours should be plenty, IMHO. To answer your first question, you probably could overcook them, but it would take several hours to do so.
      Last edited by Dewesq55; August 26, 2020, 03:55 PM.

Comment

So, you don’t think 2 hours @ 135-145 won’t over cook them? OK, I’ll try that. Thank you.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Not at all.

Time in a sous vide bath affects texture and juiciness. I would only warm them up if they were already cooked correctly.
        I thaw and then reheat in the oven so I get the texture more like it was coming off the smoker. I think this chicken breast article would apply to anything.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/...en-breast.html
        Last edited by Mark V; August 26, 2020, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's not really correct unless you are going to leave it in for more than 4 hours.

They went about 2 1/2 hours and were good. 1 bag was cut into individual bones. The other was a slab. In the future I will leave the ribs as a slab when I seal them.
        I ended up warming them at 142 and my wife was later than she planned. There was no change in texture. I noticed that the cut ribs seemed to cool off quicker. But they were both very good. We used some shawsh on them. Sorry, I know I misspelled that.
        Last edited by Randy-Phx; August 26, 2020, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here