Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st SVQ attempt - It was a solid B+ effort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    For most tough meats I go 60-72 hrs at 135F.

You can go with higher temp for shorter time for a more traditional texture but that depends on your preference. (The SVQ brisket recipe on AR is a good example).

To do pulled beef I always go the full 72 hrs.

• Duckman_OK
    commented on 's reply
    sounds like I need to crank the temp a bit on the next cook then and see what if the texture changes. Then start playing with time

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    Temp = doneness, time = tenderness.

• Duckman_OK
    replied
    Polarbear777 what temp do you run for those 72hr cooks? Is it still in the 135°F range or something else? What is the difference if you only cook 48hrs vs 72hrs?

My girlfriend liked it, but said she'd like the texture more like brisket than corned beef. To do that, I think should I bump the temps... right? That should give it a more "done" texture. I was thinking about running the next one at 155°F for 36 hours and see what happens.

After all, what's the worst that could happen? I end up with more chuck roast?

Leave a comment:

• shify
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed. 36 hrs would generally by okay for a higher temp like 155. The rule of thumb is lower the temp the longer the cook. I haven’t done chuck roast at that low a temp but I’d probably go at least 48 hrs, if not longer.

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    I think he’s implying that’s longer will fix the problem.

I go at least 48 and usually 72.

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    Longer in the SV isn't going to give a firmer texture, it will give a more tender texture. With SV, temp is doneness and time is tenderness.

• BFlynn
    replied
    Chech out Troutman s SVQ brisket.

Might need to go longer on the sous vide for firmer texture.
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Duckman_OK
    commented on 's reply
    The one thing I learned is that I HAVE to start cooking chucks two at a time. We haven't had any leftovers when I cook them...

• Dewesq55
    replied
    It looks great. I'd most definitely eat it.

Leave a comment:

• Duckman_OK
    started a topic 1st SVQ attempt - It was a solid B+ effort

1st SVQ attempt - It was a solid B+ effort

So I did my first SVQ last night. I did a cheap chuck roast from Wally World. I forgot to dry brine it, but it still came out well.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/...q-brisket.html
    Based on this article I set the temp at 135 and let it roll for 36 Hours. When that was done, I put it into an ice water bath then into the fridge. After work yesterday, I pulled it out of the bag, put some MMD on it with a healthy dose of pepper and then onto the traeger at 200°F. Brought it up to 130°F Internal Temp and flipped it onto my gasser for a sear.

I think it came out FANTASTIC considering that there was minimal effort and it was spread out. I was surprised at the texture of the meat. It was definitely tender, but kinda chewy like corned beef. It wasn't bad, just different. Anybody else have that happen? Anybody else getting a more "traditional" brisket type texture? If so, what time and temp are you running?

Attached Files

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here