Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Sous vide cue brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Sous vide cue brisket

28 hours in my Gigawort electric brew kettle (too big for the Instant Pot) then about an hour smoking with some applewood. Finish with German potato salad, green beans with bacon, and a Belgian Kwak to wash it down. Well played, worth the effort.
    Attached Files

Looks good, and the rest of the menu sounds fantastic. With only an hour of smoke after the sous vide, were you happy with the amount of smoke flavor?

Comment

The smoke was OK, I used some chips instead of a chunk of wood so I didn’t get huge amounts of smoke. I don’t think I could have left it on the grill longer. It only took that hour to go from 34F to 125F and most of the time the Grill temp was below 225.

I’ll keep using the Sous vide until I can get better control of the grill temp. It’s sure a lot easier to control the temp in an electric pot.

Comment

If you only post smoked to 125* that tells me you were going for a medium rare finish, correct? One thing about doing medium rare, sliced brisket (versus a higher temperature finish), is that you have a shorter window of time for the meat to accept smoke and form a bark. Try this next time, pre-smoke your meat to about 125*, then bag it and SV it, THEN do your post smoke. That way you get two shots at the bark formation and flavor to go with that super tenderized meat !! Good luck !!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here