Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide experiment ~ Kalbi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide experiment ~ Kalbi

So I ran into these thick beautiful Korean cut beef short ribs at the store. While looking at them at home I figured that they are too thick for regular kalbi process BUT it hit me!! I do have Sous Vide thingamajig, I can marinate these while they "Sous Vide".
    Well here we go......

Into the hot tub time machine they go. I'll do these at 135 until I'm ready to grill.
    I plan on assaulting them on the grill later today.

My second Anova in action. It's vewy vewy quiet.

Out of the bag,

Assault in progress

Ready to eat

Here we go...
    Plated

Let's round it off with Gochujang sauce

Came out fantastic, very tender but with that Good chew. This only worked because of the thickness of the meat.

Looks terrific.

Comment

Nice assault.

Comment

Looks very good. Great pictures, Ernest !

Comment

Ernest question for you, Ernest..the ribs look great but almost look like they're medium rare. When I smoke beef short ribs, I cook them until about 203F IT. To what temp do you cook them or do you have another way to tell that they're done?

Comment

Ray that's the beauty of Sous vide. These were too thick for the traditional kalbi so I sous vide them at 135 before assaulting them on the grill. I let them cool off before grilling so they don't cook passed 135.

Comment

• Ray
              Ray commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Ernest. I've thought (mistakenly perhaps) that short ribs needed a long cook to well done like brisket to be tender. Not so, eh?

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Not these. The marinade has Asian pear as the tenderizer.

Ernest that pic of them searing is very cool. As of right now, today, I have zero interest in ever doing sous vide. But...that's not to say that won't change in a year or 3. There was a time I had zero interest in a charcoal grill and just used a gasser. Now I use only charcoal and wood. We evolve in time.. Anyway... if anyone were to steer me into an interest in sous vide, it would be you.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
              Steve Vojtek commented
              Editing a comment
              Sous vide does have advantages - it is worth considering . Just like with any cooking method it has it's place but not for everything . Just another tool to create great food..

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve nailed it.

Huskee I was skeptical at first as well. Now I got two of these thingamajig. But if DWCowles can cook on a pellet smoker, you too can Sous vide. LOL!

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Better yet, if he starts cooking sous vide so can I, Lol.

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeeeeeaaaah nooooooo that's not doing to happen. HAHAHA

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't worry Huskee a sous vide doesn't interest me at all and Ernest you are absolutely correct, it ain't going to happen!

Cool man, how long did the sous vide take? I did a smoke a few months ago where I used a kalbi marinade and it turned out great, but I couldn't really call it kalbi, you know? The fat had obviously rendered and the texture was different from the fast cooked Korean version. Wondering if your cook left some of that fat intact and had some of that same texture.

BTW, if you enjoy kalbi and want to explore another Korean dish then look into chadol baegi. It takes the holy grail of low and slow meats, brisket, and turns it into a super quick affair. The unmarinated meat is sliced paper thin and seared hot, then dipped into a sesame oil and salt/pepper sauce (which can be wrapped with rice paper, radish slices, lettuce, etc.)

Boy, I'm starting to get the hungries…

Comment

Looks really good!

I marinade mine with Soy Sauce / Garlic. Turn the gasser on high and they're done within 5 minutes or so.

Ernest - beautiful post!

eugenek - @7:46 AM I am getting the hungries NOW!

--Ed

Comment

Medusa the thin traditional cut wouldn't work with sous vide. It would be a waste of time. However these were THICK!

Comment

• Medusa
                  Medusa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good info using the sous vide for THICK. Agree it would be a waste on the thin, and mostly I've been buying the thin cuts. Thanks!

Man, those look gooooooooood!!!!

eugenek texture was better than traditional kalbi. Think a "kalbilized" ribeye. I think it sous vide for about 5 hours. I just dropped the meat in and went about my daily business. Came back home and grilled it.

Comment

@ Ernest thanks for posting the 50 off sale! My son ordered one. Next I show him this post as he loves thick beef ribs too. You're making me a lucky Dad thank you very much !

Comment

kranknhank You're very welcome.

Comment

Ernest is there a sale on Anova's for 50% off? Please tell me I didn't miss this post!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here