Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide pork ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks PKB.

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    For reasons I don't understand (haven't researched) pork seems to put out a LARGE amount of solids in the purge... I don't usually do anything with pork purge from a couple bad experiences when I didn't know what I was doing. Of course, I haven't done ribs in a long time because of a bad experience from when I didn't know what I was doing.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    commented on 's reply
    GolfGeezer I just did some dino ribs sous vide a few weeks ago. Incredible. I did 160°F for 44 hours. Ridiculous. Smoked for 4h prior with SPG, that's it. Reduced the purge and added some red wine, garlic, salt and cream of mushroom soup. https://photos.smugmug.com/Street-ta..._170952-X2.jpg

• BourBonQ
    commented on 's reply
    Mosca , couple of things I've learned with pre-SV rubs and/or brines... if you want to use the purge later (highly recommended for pulled pork) it can get a little too salty. And, I still find myself adding a little extra rub after the SV. Typically I'm going little to no salt or rub before SV.

Either way, you can still get very good results.

Looking forward to seeing what you turn out on Saturday, good luck!

• MBMorgan
    commented on 's reply
    Have a look at these posts by Potkettleblack regarding how to handle the purge: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...echnique-purge

• Mosca
    replied
    Well, the 12 hours is up. I’d take a photo, but frankly they look UGLY.

However, they smell GREAT. And more importantly, they feel "right". During the day I was checking on them, making sure they were fully underwater, the bags weren’t leaking, etc. And they were just like ribs during a smoke: cooked, but not done. They were firm. Now they feel done. Wiggly.

They’re in the fridge, and now there won’t really be an update until Saturday. I do have a question, though, for anyone who’s done these: what do you do with the purge? Brush it back on while they grill? Mix it with sauce and brush it on? It seems a shame to waste it.

Leave a comment:

• GolfGeezer
    commented on 's reply
    BourBonQ Have you ever done this for Beef short ribs (Dino ribs)? Given the finish temp goal is the same, wondering if it is the same SVQ process.

Never mind: found this other post that addresses my question:

I have some short ribs in the freezer that I plan to SVQ. Going to try the recommendation I saw some time ago by Potkettleblack and SV 133/72, smoke 'em, sear 'em. But I have a few questions... The ribs are currently vacuum sealed and can easily go from freezer to SV, but they are completely naked. Should I open them up, add
    Last edited by GolfGeezer; July 1, 2020, 01:48 PM.

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    I salted and rubbed them before going into the SV. I’d thought about it, and then decided it didn’t make a lot of difference, and it would make things easier on Saturday.

• Elton's BBQ
    replied
    Interesting.. look forward to see the result.

Leave a comment:

• BourBonQ
    replied
    I've done many SV ribs as it takes the timing issues out of tailgating, parties, etc... no more "when will they be done?!"

My go to temp has become 158x24, great moisture/taste/texture. Sometimes I SV with a little salt, but most of the time just 'nekkid'.

I will usually SV several racks at a time, individually vac sealed. Can then just pull what is needed out of the fridge/freezer, add a rub, and straight to the smoker just for smoke and color.

Pretty much the same process for pork butt.

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    commented on 's reply
    Great idea with the washers!

• Chuck in Charlotte
    replied
    I'll be following this, too, interested to see if SV makes any difference with ribs. I got tired of trying to keep bags from floating, so I bought a few 4-inch washers, sanded off the burrs and vacuum-sealed them in little pouches. I drop one or two of those into the bag before I seal it.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    I’ve had that thing for probably 5 years, if not longer, and I had a sous vide oven for probably 5 years before that. I’ve never used them much at all. I’m just starting to explore it myself.

I will say this: cook-wise, it seems like it is pretty foolproof. Follow the directions and it works. Your issues are going to be mechanical: things like good sealing, good circulation, and the like. Right now I got some air in one of the bags, so I put a weight on top of it.

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    I am pretty new to SV so very interested to see how this turns out. Please post results with pic! Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    started a topic Sous vide pork ribs

Sous vide pork ribs

I’m riffing off Clint Cantwell’s Sous vide St Louis ribs. I have baby back ribs, so I’m using those. And I don’t have 24 hours, so instead of 150* for 24 hours I’m doing 165* for 12; Food Lab says the difference is texture, with 165* giving a more traditional texture. (I would have put them on last night and done the 150*/24, but I was beat.)

Anyhow, comments are welcome. I am putting them in the fridge for Saturday, finishing on the grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	36F6E440-5B03-4486-A2D5-B197D3563AF9.jpeg
Views:	890
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	873179

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here