Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confusion between AR recipe & SVQ Made Easy for pork belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusion between AR recipe & SVQ Made Easy for pork belly

Some clarification please. In the SVQ Made Easy e-book, dry brining a pork belly is recommended but soaking the belly in a marinade prior to or during SV is not. Molecule size, penetration of the molecules, etc. Yet, the SV Pork Belly recipe on AR, suggests a soy, rice wine, mirin marinade mixture be added to the pork belly in the SV bag while it is being SV. Looking for some clarification as my plan is to SV 16 hrs at 165 F, then apply marinade & smoke in my PBC, then finish on the grill for a crispy skin. Pork belly is about 1.5kg (3 1/3 lbs). Thanks.

The recipe in the book is a modification after experimenting and is the better one. I forgot to correct the website.
    Last edited by Meathead; June 30, 2020, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robbh View Post
      Some clarification please. In the SVQ Made Easy e-book, dry brining a pork belly is recommended but soaking the belly in a marinade prior to or during SV is not. Molecule size, penetration of the molecules, etc. Yet, the SV Pork Belly recipe on AR, suggests a soy, rice wine, mirin marinade mixture be added to the pork belly in the SV bag while it is being SV. Looking for some clarification as my plan is to SV 16 hrs at 165 F, then apply marinade & smoke in my PBC, then finish on the grill for a crispy skin. Pork belly is about 1.5kg (3 1/3 lbs). Thanks.
      This sounds like a great plan. We are in the process of revising that particular recipe to marinade post-SV.

Comment

• EZaugg
        EZaugg commented
        Editing a comment
        How do you apply the marinade then? Brush it on while it smokes? Marinate it for a short time once it is out of the sous vide?

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here