Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maximum searing temp. When should I “Give it all she's got Scotty!”?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maximum searing temp. When should I “Give it all she's got Scotty!”?

Hi guys!

I have a doubt... Well... many. All related to the perfect moment to "“Give it all she's got Scotty!”

Let's say that once I got an steak to 120-125F, after sousvide it's time for searing.

If I use a flat surface like a cast iron skillet (it could be upsidedown GG too), I don't know when to place the steak:

A- I can place the steak in the skillet once it reaches 400F. -500F and then "give it all".

B. Or I could reach 650F and then place the steak...

Option B might be a problem with the oil smoke point.

(sorry because of my english)

Cheers!

Welcome to The Pit! You want max temps possible for searing.

Comment

What he said, and welcome to the pit.

Comment

Heat the pan dry to 650, oil the _steak_ lightly before searing. That way the oil is in thermal contact with the steak so doesn’t all burn up as fast AND the oil helps sear any spots on the steak surface that don’t completely touch the pan.

either way you will have tons of smoke, which is why I always do this outside.

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Or hide the broom so the wife doesn't beat you for filling the house with smoke..

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Or disconnect the smoke detector in the kitchen (not recommended). Or get a smart one, that you can turn off with a phone.

• Chuppy
          Chuppy commented
          Editing a comment
          I reverse sear with melted butter and beef tallow mix. I apply it before I hit it with my Harbor Freight torch. The torch works very well and can char easily. From my limited experience I would say I get less charring if I apply it before hand rather than after. Yet some sear then apply their oil. I wonder if there is a difference scientifically?

Also consider the thickness of your steaks. What final temp are you shooting for and how thick are the steaks?

Comment

• pitdepitis
          pitdepitis commented
          Editing a comment
          1 1/2" thick. And sous vide temp 125, maybe 120... A bit higher that what it's in "meathead"book. So I dont have to heat it up that much... What do you think?

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll let other chime in, but I like mine with a final temp of 125, so I hold them at 105. There's no going backward on doneness, and I can't bear a medium steak. So I always probe them after the sear and if they need to ride longer I put them in the cool zone and shut the lid till they're where I want them.

If you have a cast iron skillet, it's a great way to sear SV steaks.

Comment

My absolute sweet spot for rare steak is 122*. Carryover gets it into the high 120s after resting. That said, when I sous vide steak I do it at 130* for the prescribed time (I'd say 2 1/2 - 3 hours in your case). With a quick sear you get edge to edge pink meat. Maybe a tad more than you like but it's not recommended that you sous vide under 130* for that length of time. Just saying.

Comment

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman how long do you usually sear your steaks?

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            hoovarmin I like to do cold grate with 1 min per side for 3 rounds. Depending on the fire and the color, that may be a bit more or less.

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
          My absolute sweet spot for rare steak is 122*. Carryover gets it into the high 120s after resting. That said, when I sous vide steak I do it at 130* for the prescribed time (I'd say 2 1/2 - 3 hours in your case). With a quick sear you get edge to edge pink meat. Maybe a tad more than you like but it's not recommended that you sous vide under 130* for that length of time. Just saying.
          I'm going to disagree here. There's little to no carryover when coming out of an SV bath. Carryover comes from cooking at a significantly higher temp than you want for doneness. This means the outer layer of meat is hotter than you want the inner part to be and that heat will continue to migrate inward even after the meat is pulled. This is why a traditionally cooked steak as that gray, well done band - it IS well done and has to be because it will take some time for the heat to migrate inward and raise the center temp to 125F or whatever you want.

However, in an SV bath, the cooking medium is the finished temp. There's no excess heat to migrate inward... everything is at your finished temp already.

That's why you look to sear really quickly - the idea is to get s great crust without heating the layer under the sear (adding a gray band ) and without applying heat for long enough that it migrates inward and raises the inner temps too much.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't refer to carry over from a SV cooked steak, sorry I didn't make that clear. You get carry over from a traditionally cooked steak which I cook at a lower temp then allow to rest and carry over and approach the doneness I prefer. You are correct SV then sear is a different animal all together.

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually same animal, just cooked a different way ;-)

As I have said before. For the novice or pitmaster in progress to get the steak spot on allow plenty of time in between the cook and the sear. Even if the steak goes nearly cold after the cook it will gain enough heat during the sear to be at a good eating temp straight off the hot pan.
          Last edited by Ahumadora; June 30, 2020, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            I've missed that advice but have stumbled on to it by accident lately and I concur

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Shock for safety as much as superior process.

Make some creme brulee and you can torch the steak and the dessert. Who doesn't need another excuse to play with fire?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            An Excellent Point, Brother!
            Reckon I need not only a torch attachment, but also a Tim Taylor shirt, if not tattoo lol!!!!
            Let's keep Binford Tools workin, makin th 6100, durin alla this madness!

For thick steaks I sometimes ice bath them for just a few minutes out of the SV. Cools the surface but the interior is still warm. Gives you more time to sear without affecting the interior.

also drastically helps the sear if you get the surface of the meat very dry with paper towels and then thin oil.

Comment

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis