Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast-Mistakes were made and then corrected.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Last chuck I did a couple of weeks ago, I did QVQ but I only left it in the bath water at 132 for 30 hours. Came out great.

• DrDan
    replied
    Flash fry=sear in a cast iron pan

I'm now using 135 degrees ....If I want the chuck roast on Saturday night, I throw it in the sous vide Friday morning. Another great think, PRIME chuck roast at my local costco was only $5.49/lb. Steal of a deal.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    That’s pretty much it. It’s not exactly complicated. Pinch, evaluate, adjust.

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    @zzdocxx

Potkettleblack advocates "the pinch test" for tenderness. Pinch the surface and twist a little to see whether it's tender enough. I'm sure he can tell us the finer points!

• zzdocxx
    commented on 's reply
    I wonder how much effect wet aging in a vac pack would have in comparison to the long SV cook . . .

I've been working out of town a few days a week and that long SV could be a challenge .

Is there anyway to quantify tenderness? Haha maybe we could apply the Rockwell hardness scale.

• zzdocxx
    commented on 's reply
    +1, love that crazy Brasilian's videos. My favorites are when he sears using the flame thrower.

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    EdF I hope that unemployment is of your own choosing!

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    hoovarmin Being not employed will do that for you! ;-)

• KenC52
    replied
    Go to YouTube and look at sousvideeverything. Guy named Guga has literally sous vide almost everything. He has a recipe for pork butt that is a 60 hour sous vide following a 3 hour cook in a pellet smoker. Tried it for my second sous vide and it was truly amazing. Give him a look.

Leave a comment:

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Ed! Great to see more of you around here lately

• pjlstrat
    commented on 's reply
    EdF smokinsteve Thank you Ed....Beat me to it!! Here is Troutman QVQ for brisket. as Ed says, interchangeable.
    Medium rare brisket in and of itself seems to be a contradiction. We’re so used to the low and slow, take it up to over 200* succulent but well done brisket that we all strive to

• smokinsteve
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks @Edf!!

• EdF
    replied
    smokinsteve Here's a procedure from

Polarbear777 . I have several others collected from the membership that are similar. Brisket and Chuck tend to be interchangeable in the SV/Q approaches, so don't worry about the use of both labels below:

Modified from an earlier experiment I did with chuck roasts after studying PKBs methods. The chuck had the best smoke and moistness I’ve ever tried.
    1. Dry brine plus BBBR 24 hours ahead ( I’m lazy so I just throw the rub on on top of the salt layer. One step.)
    2. Smoke at 225F until about 130F IT
    3. Bag the meat, vacuum seal
    4. Cook in sous vide at 135F for 72 hours
    5. Ice bath and put in fridge.
    6. A few hours ahead of dinner, unbag and save all the purge
    7. smoke at 350F to avoid the stall until an IT of 135F ( 350 hardens/dries the bark and you don’t need a stall because the time in SV took care of the collagen breakdown)
    8. (Optional) And/or. Heat trimmed and rendered brisket fat to 375-400F and pour over brisket (safely, outside) right before service.
    9. Remove the meat. Heat the purge and pour over after slicing

Leave a comment:

• smokinsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by pjlstrat View Post
    Wait till you try QVQ Chuckie,,,,,,,Heavily Barked, kissed with smoke chuckie, served medium rare and fork tender...........It will change your life!!
    You got some instructions for that?

Leave a comment:

• pjlstrat
    replied
    Wait till you try QVQ Chuckie,,,,,,,Heavily Barked, kissed with smoke chuckie, served medium rare and fork tender...........It will change your life!!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here