Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast-Mistakes were made and then corrected.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Roast-Mistakes were made and then corrected.

Fellow Ribsters. While I am a long time cook, only recently did I experience sous vide. I traveled to visit friends and they suggested trying a sous vide chuck roast, then flash fry for a golden skin. Well, we put the chuck roast in at 135 degree bath for seven hours Took it out and flashed it in a cast iron pan....and it was predictably tough. I argued that a tough cut like chuck roast would need a final temp of at least 195. I was wrong. The next day, we again prepared a chuck roast sous vide style only this time, increasing the temp to 140 degrees and leaving in the sous vide for THIRTY HOURS. We again, then flashed it in the cast iron fry pan and served it with a garlic/mushroom/wine reduction sauce. It might have been the best beef that I have yet tasted. As tender as a tenderloin, and as flavorful as a ribeye. Learned something new. Absolutely amazing. None of the stringiness or dryness often associated with slow cooker chuck roast. Seriously try this.

135 for 7 was obviously too short. Try 48-72.

Here's the unspoken first rule of Sous Vide: Temp is doneness, time is tenderness.

I think your friends didn't give you the full recipe.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t think that is unspoken. I’ve heard PKB say it at least 100 times ;-)

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      Potkettleblack what is the thickness of the chuck for the 48-72 hrs.? I did one at 135 for 36hrs on a 2" roast and was questioning if I did it too long. Tasted great and was tender. Does it also matter which part of the chuck (from the roll or clod) that is used?

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Tenderization happens at the set temperature. Thickness doesn’t matter much after several hours when the internal temp hits the set point. Tenderness time depends more on how tough the meat is and how tender you want it.

Yep! Hard to beat, right? I like deli roast beef. I do pretty much what you did, then cool the beef and slice thin. Best roast beef sandwich ever.

Comment

Could you explain "flash fry"?
      How much oil did you use? What type of oil?
      I ate some Brussel sprouts at a restaurant that were glad fried and there were the most tasty veggie I’ve eaten.
      Last edited by jecucolo; June 27, 2020, 04:12 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        stoopid otter keerect lol

Wait till you try QVQ Chuckie,,,,,,,Heavily Barked, kissed with smoke chuckie, served medium rare and fork tender...........It will change your life!!

Comment

Originally posted by pjlstrat View Post
        Wait till you try QVQ Chuckie,,,,,,,Heavily Barked, kissed with smoke chuckie, served medium rare and fork tender...........It will change your life!!
        You got some instructions for that?

Comment

smokinsteve Here's a procedure from

Polarbear777 . I have several others collected from the membership that are similar. Brisket and Chuck tend to be interchangeable in the SV/Q approaches, so don't worry about the use of both labels below:

Modified from an earlier experiment I did with chuck roasts after studying PKBs methods. The chuck had the best smoke and moistness I’ve ever tried.
          1. Dry brine plus BBBR 24 hours ahead ( I’m lazy so I just throw the rub on on top of the salt layer. One step.)
          2. Smoke at 225F until about 130F IT
          3. Bag the meat, vacuum seal
          4. Cook in sous vide at 135F for 72 hours
          5. Ice bath and put in fridge.
          6. A few hours ahead of dinner, unbag and save all the purge
          7. smoke at 350F to avoid the stall until an IT of 135F ( 350 hardens/dries the bark and you don’t need a stall because the time in SV took care of the collagen breakdown)
          8. (Optional) And/or. Heat trimmed and rendered brisket fat to 375-400F and pour over brisket (safely, outside) right before service.
          9. Remove the meat. Heat the purge and pour over after slicing

Comment

• zzdocxx
            zzdocxx commented
            Editing a comment
            I wonder how much effect wet aging in a vac pack would have in comparison to the long SV cook . . .

I've been working out of town a few days a week and that long SV could be a challenge .

Is there anyway to quantify tenderness? Haha maybe we could apply the Rockwell hardness scale.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            @zzdocxx

Potkettleblack advocates "the pinch test" for tenderness. Pinch the surface and twist a little to see whether it's tender enough. I'm sure he can tell us the finer points!

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s pretty much it. It’s not exactly complicated. Pinch, evaluate, adjust.

Go to YouTube and look at sousvideeverything. Guy named Guga has literally sous vide almost everything. He has a recipe for pork butt that is a 60 hour sous vide following a 3 hour cook in a pellet smoker. Tried it for my second sous vide and it was truly amazing. Give him a look.

Comment

• zzdocxx
            zzdocxx commented
            Editing a comment
            +1, love that crazy Brasilian's videos. My favorites are when he sears using the flame thrower.

Flash fry=sear in a cast iron pan

I'm now using 135 degrees ....If I want the chuck roast on Saturday night, I throw it in the sous vide Friday morning. Another great think, PRIME chuck roast at my local costco was only $5.49/lb. Steal of a deal.

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Last chuck I did a couple of weeks ago, I did QVQ but I only left it in the bath water at 132 for 30 hours. Came out great.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here