Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast-Mistakes were made and then corrected.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    stoopid otter keerect lol

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    Tenderization happens at the set temperature. Thickness doesn’t matter much after several hours when the internal temp hits the set point. Tenderness time depends more on how tough the meat is and how tender you want it.

• jecucolo
    replied
    Could you explain "flash fry"?
    How much oil did you use? What type of oil?
    I ate some Brussel sprouts at a restaurant that were glad fried and there were the most tasty veggie I’ve eaten.
    Last edited by jecucolo; June 27, 2020, 04:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JimLinebarger
    commented on 's reply
    Potkettleblack what is the thickness of the chuck for the 48-72 hrs.? I did one at 135 for 36hrs on a 2" roast and was questioning if I did it too long. Tasted great and was tender. Does it also matter which part of the chuck (from the roll or clod) that is used?

• JCGrill
    replied
    Yep! Hard to beat, right? I like deli roast beef. I do pretty much what you did, then cool the beef and slice thin. Best roast beef sandwich ever.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    I don’t think that is unspoken. I’ve heard PKB say it at least 100 times ;-)

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    135 for 7 was obviously too short. Try 48-72.

Here's the unspoken first rule of Sous Vide: Temp is doneness, time is tenderness.

I think your friends didn't give you the full recipe.

Leave a comment:

• DrDan
    started a topic Chuck Roast-Mistakes were made and then corrected.

Chuck Roast-Mistakes were made and then corrected.

Fellow Ribsters. While I am a long time cook, only recently did I experience sous vide. I traveled to visit friends and they suggested trying a sous vide chuck roast, then flash fry for a golden skin. Well, we put the chuck roast in at 135 degree bath for seven hours Took it out and flashed it in a cast iron pan....and it was predictably tough. I argued that a tough cut like chuck roast would need a final temp of at least 195. I was wrong. The next day, we again prepared a chuck roast sous vide style only this time, increasing the temp to 140 degrees and leaving in the sous vide for THIRTY HOURS. We again, then flashed it in the cast iron fry pan and served it with a garlic/mushroom/wine reduction sauce. It might have been the best beef that I have yet tasted. As tender as a tenderloin, and as flavorful as a ribeye. Learned something new. Absolutely amazing. None of the stringiness or dryness often associated with slow cooker chuck roast. Seriously try this.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here