Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Cooking - Water Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Cooking - Water Oven

Sous Vide Cooking is a great technique to cook steak low and slow. I am personally a fan. Here a a few pictures of meals i made.

Hi Chris,
    I am just getting into Sous Vide myself, and am eager to merge it with BBQ. In particular, having specialized in briskets for the last year or so, I really think that the techniques can compliment each other for that cut, or beef ribs equally. I am about to go to a cottage for a weekend, and am tasked with meals for one day. I am going to use Sous Vide for breakfast (poached eggs for 20 people), and for a lunch side (carrots in orange juice w/ cumin), but I really want to present a 72hr 130F brisket which has been smoked, but also subjected to a browning reaction, because (obviously) a huge amount of flavor comes from those two techniques, but the real beauty of sous-vide is in the resultant texture of the meat. So I am looking for pointers, though I am sure I will be experimenting with this myself. For this weekend, I am also serving braised then fried pork belly and a whole pork shoulder as pulled pork.
    Meathead points out in several places on this site that some spices are water soluble and some oil soluble. I would really like to get more information on that breakdown. For my BBQ this weekend, I am brining the pork in a bunch of spices, then braising or BBQing in others, but I think that combining with Sous Vide, it would be nice to know which exact components are water vs. oil soluble, and then spend some of the Sous Vide cooking time in a water base, or oil base with those spices.
    PS: Your food photos are beautiful.
    Cheers,
    --Stewart

Comment

• _Keith
      _Keith commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that the water solubility of seasonings is irrelevant, since the items being cooked are vacuum sealed in plastic before being immersed.

• Freethread
      Freethread commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Keith, what I meant was sealing it with a water-based broth with water-soluble spices, and cooking that for some of the time, then opening, removing the broth, and resealing with fat and oil-soluble spices and finishing the cook that way. Maybe it wouldn't make any difference vs. combining it all in the bag. Maybe it is better to brine first in cold water with the water soluble spices, then cook with the rest, but it would be nice to know which spices are which to experiment with this.

• Chrisonthego
      Chrisonthego commented
      Editing a comment
      I was wondering how your brisket turn out at 130 f for 72 hours. I am thinking of doing a brisket at 176 F for at least 24 hours. Do you have recommendations? I was planning on smoking it first for 2 hours at 150F on my pellet smoker.

Help is needed!!! Tks!!

I have not done a BBQ brisket sous vide (but I make my corned beef sous vide). I have done 24 and 48 hour boneless chuck roast that was then reverse seared. Cooked to about 126f before reverse searing. I season it first. I couldn't really tell the difference between 24 and 48 hours so now I just do 24. It comes out amazing, as tender as the best prime rib but with a lot more flavor. Only tricky part is making sure you separate the muscles so you can slice across the grain. It creates a lot of juice. I save it and reduce it and add mushrooms and butter to make gravy.

Comment

Here is a flank steak cooked sous vide. It was tender and amazingly good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here