Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide cowboy rib eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    You done good !!!

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Actually smoke is a topical flavoring accomplished via the mallard reaction. Smoke does not penetrate meat. Getting a good sear is the trick to accomplishing the same flavor profile.

• hoovarmin
    replied
    Gorgeous

Leave a comment:

• pjlstrat
    commented on 's reply
    Well done, those look awesome!

• willxfmr
    commented on 's reply
    Dang! Those look mighty tasty. Nice job!

• willxfmr
    commented on 's reply
    Omigs. Using a smoker, a low oven, or a SV are all ways to do reverse, and all three get the job done. I should have been more specific in that I much prefer using a smoker for step one of the reverse sear cooking process. Sorry for the confusion.

• Dadof3Illinois
    commented on 's reply
    Looks awesome!! I would of had some serious meat sweats after that....HA

• Omigs
    replied
    So after much deliberation, I decided to go sous vide with a reverse sear. I did 2.5 hours at 130. The larger steak only got up to about 127 at the end of the 2.5 hour bath. I did the sear for both on the chimney starter. Actually turned out great. Thank you to everyone for your feedback and recommendations, really gave me a lot to consider. Great learning experience and great meal.

The wife felt bad I was doing so much on "my day" but this is my happy place.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Omigs
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, I will agree with that!

• BBQPhil
    replied
    SV works but you don't get any of the smoke flavor that permeates the thick cut of meat done on a grill or smoker. Just personal preference. Not a question of right or wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Omigs
    commented on 's reply
    I've reverse seared a prime rib roast much thicker than this using sous vide with great success. Is there anything that would make sous vide for a thick steak like this less suitable?

• Elton's BBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Great info there MBMorgan

• willxfmr
    commented on 's reply
    As a long time sous vide user, I couldn't agree more. Reverse sear is hands down the best way to cook a steak.

• BBQPhil
    replied
    I've sous vide steak but for a steak like this I smoke or grill at a low temperature (250) until the center hits 125 and then sear on the grill. It's easier, faster and I find tastes better.

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Please remember food safety, too. I’ll refer you to this first:

When cooking sous vide, there are several objectives to keep in mind:

1. Doneness - this is determined by the temp at which you SV the meat.
    2. Food safety - you’re shooting for a safe level of pasteurization. This is a product of both temperature AND time. If you check the beef table in Doug Baldwin’s article, you’ll see that at 131F (generally regarded as the minimum safe SV temp) a 2” (approx. 50 mm) thick cut will require about 4.5 hours to be safely pasteurized. A 3” (approx. 76 mm) thick cut will be safely pasteurized in about 7 hours.
    3. Texture and/or tenderness - like when you’re attempting to transform a chuck roast into something more like rib roast. This simply requires more time ... often LOTS more time (24 - 48 - or even 72 hours).

Enjoy those steaks and please pay close attention to points 1 and 2.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here