Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide cowboy rib eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide cowboy rib eye?

I got a good deal on cowboy rib eye at the local butcher and am debating sous vide and searing on the grill. The one on the left/top is about 3 inches thick with the smaller one measuring 2". Anyone have experience with this? How long should I plan on cooking before searing? Is the a bad idea considering the potential for the bone to puncture the bag?
    Attached Files

Beautiful steaks! Sous vide + searing works especially well for thick cuts like these. If you're worried about the bones puncturing the bad - try double-bagging.

Comment

• Omigs
      Omigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Good recommendation! I was thinking 2hrs at 130, do you think that's long enough?

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      You can also wrap the bones in plastic wrap to cushion them.

3" thick? Is that a steak or a small roast? lol 130 for two to two and half hours max should be safe. Longer than that at 130 or less would not be good for food safety reasons. I've used regular zip lock bags and food saver sealed bags and have never had a bone puncture or even considered it. Good luck and looking forward to the results.

Comment

3" I would say 2.5-3.5 hours at 127. Are you going straight to sear or do the ice water bath and sear later thing? If so you might want to think about leaving them in a 115-120 bath once you come out of the fridge for an hour because of they really cool down in the middle it might be tricky to get them up to internal eating temp (110-120) just over hot coals or cast iron.

Comment

• Omigs
        Omigs commented
        Editing a comment
        I am going straight from sous vide to the grill. Also attempting a polenta so should be a lot of fun.

• Omigs
        Omigs commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you think 2 hrs is long enough for the smaller 2" cut?

If you use gallon sized bags, and the water displacement method (sink the meat leave the top of the bag open and out of the water) There is almost no chance the bone will poke a hole in the bag. That method also allows you to put a temp probe in the meat, so there is no guess work as to when they have been in the bath long enough.

Comment

I’ve had great success front searing over a charcoal chimney starter then slow smoking to 130 internal. It takes less time and produces a great steak with a nice crust and a hint of smoke.
        Don’t get me wrong, I really like sous vide but not so much for just a couple steaks at home, but that’s just me. I would be careful to not over cook. If your not going to cool/fridge prior to searing and taking them to 130 then searing immediately from the water bath you may end up in that medium or above range?

Comment

Please remember food safety, too. I’ll refer you to this first:

When cooking sous vide, there are several objectives to keep in mind:

1. Doneness - this is determined by the temp at which you SV the meat.
          2. Food safety - you’re shooting for a safe level of pasteurization. This is a product of both temperature AND time. If you check the beef table in Doug Baldwin’s article, you’ll see that at 131F (generally regarded as the minimum safe SV temp) a 2” (approx. 50 mm) thick cut will require about 4.5 hours to be safely pasteurized. A 3” (approx. 76 mm) thick cut will be safely pasteurized in about 7 hours.
          3. Texture and/or tenderness - like when you’re attempting to transform a chuck roast into something more like rib roast. This simply requires more time ... often LOTS more time (24 - 48 - or even 72 hours).

Enjoy those steaks and please pay close attention to points 1 and 2.

Comment

I've sous vide steak but for a steak like this I smoke or grill at a low temperature (250) until the center hits 125 and then sear on the grill. It's easier, faster and I find tastes better.

Comment

• willxfmr
            willxfmr commented
            Editing a comment
            As a long time sous vide user, I couldn't agree more. Reverse sear is hands down the best way to cook a steak.

• Omigs
            Omigs commented
            Editing a comment
            I've reverse seared a prime rib roast much thicker than this using sous vide with great success. Is there anything that would make sous vide for a thick steak like this less suitable?

• willxfmr
            willxfmr commented
            Editing a comment
            Omigs. Using a smoker, a low oven, or a SV are all ways to do reverse, and all three get the job done. I should have been more specific in that I much prefer using a smoker for step one of the reverse sear cooking process. Sorry for the confusion.

SV works but you don't get any of the smoke flavor that permeates the thick cut of meat done on a grill or smoker. Just personal preference. Not a question of right or wrong.

Comment

• Omigs
            Omigs commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I will agree with that!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually smoke is a topical flavoring accomplished via the mallard reaction. Smoke does not penetrate meat. Getting a good sear is the trick to accomplishing the same flavor profile.

So after much deliberation, I decided to go sous vide with a reverse sear. I did 2.5 hours at 130. The larger steak only got up to about 127 at the end of the 2.5 hour bath. I did the sear for both on the chimney starter. Actually turned out great. Thank you to everyone for your feedback and recommendations, really gave me a lot to consider. Great learning experience and great meal.

The wife felt bad I was doing so much on "my day" but this is my happy place.
          Attached Files

Comment

• willxfmr
            willxfmr commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang! Those look mighty tasty. Nice job!

• pjlstrat
            pjlstrat commented
            Editing a comment
            Well done, those look awesome!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            You done good !!!

Gorgeous

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here