Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide cowboy rib eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    I’ve had great success front searing over a charcoal chimney starter then slow smoking to 130 internal. It takes less time and produces a great steak with a nice crust and a hint of smoke.
    Don’t get me wrong, I really like sous vide but not so much for just a couple steaks at home, but that’s just me. I would be careful to not over cook. If your not going to cool/fridge prior to searing and taking them to 130 then searing immediately from the water bath you may end up in that medium or above range?

Leave a comment:

• willxfmr
    replied
    If you use gallon sized bags, and the water displacement method (sink the meat leave the top of the bag open and out of the water) There is almost no chance the bone will poke a hole in the bag. That method also allows you to put a temp probe in the meat, so there is no guess work as to when they have been in the bath long enough.

Leave a comment:

• Omigs
    commented on 's reply
    Do you think 2 hrs is long enough for the smaller 2" cut?

• Omigs
    commented on 's reply
    I am going straight from sous vide to the grill. Also attempting a polenta so should be a lot of fun.

• fracmeister
    replied
    3" I would say 2.5-3.5 hours at 127. Are you going straight to sear or do the ice water bath and sear later thing? If so you might want to think about leaving them in a 115-120 bath once you come out of the fridge for an hour because of they really cool down in the middle it might be tricky to get them up to internal eating temp (110-120) just over hot coals or cast iron.

Leave a comment:

• cgrover60
    replied
    3" thick? Is that a steak or a small roast? lol 130 for two to two and half hours max should be safe. Longer than that at 130 or less would not be good for food safety reasons. I've used regular zip lock bags and food saver sealed bags and have never had a bone puncture or even considered it. Good luck and looking forward to the results.

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    commented on 's reply
    You can also wrap the bones in plastic wrap to cushion them.

• Omigs
    commented on 's reply
    Good recommendation! I was thinking 2hrs at 130, do you think that's long enough?

• theroc
    replied
    Beautiful steaks! Sous vide + searing works especially well for thick cuts like these. If you're worried about the bones puncturing the bad - try double-bagging.

Leave a comment:

• Omigs
    started a topic Sous vide cowboy rib eye?

Sous vide cowboy rib eye?

I got a good deal on cowboy rib eye at the local butcher and am debating sous vide and searing on the grill. The one on the left/top is about 3 inches thick with the smaller one measuring 2". Anyone have experience with this? How long should I plan on cooking before searing? Is the a bad idea considering the potential for the bone to puncture the bag?
    Attached Files

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here